How long to water with a soaker hose?

maxlife92April 22, 2012

I have 3 10x4 ft raised beds 1ft deep. I bought two 25'ft soaker hoses yesterday and have them split at the faucet going to the three beds(two of the beds share one soaker hose). First question, how much looping and intertwining do i need to do? Because the shares beds dont have enough leverage with the one hose for any looping and im skeptical this could be a problem. Also how long should I let them run?

Yesterday I let them run for 20 min 2different times. Today I let them run for 40min this morning and i just chcked the soil with my finger (one inch test) and it was very dry and my newly planted cucumber plant looked wilty. So i just turned them on again for 30 minutes.

What do yall think?

Especially with the temps in the 80's and no rain here in San Antonio...

I do have the garden under a tree though

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tx_ag_95(7/8 Lewisville)

First, how much water is each hose releasing when you turn on the faucet? Are you turning the faucet on enough? You don't want to be spraying water in the air, but you do want it dripping/seeping into the soil. It really is a trial and error type of thing. How far to turn the knob of the faucet to get the water flow you want, and then how long to leave the water on. The first is the easiest, slowly turn the knob/lever until you get a steady dripping of water from the soaker hose. The latter takes more time and concentrated watchng of the beds to tell you when they've had enough.

Good luck!

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 1:45AM
More Discussions
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!
I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on...
remuda1
Need suggestions for a privacy hedge along my fence line
My backyard is about 3/4 of an acre and our HOA requires...
5995richmond
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
Can you ID this bird?
These pictures are from Carrie. Can you ID this bird? Thank...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™