can you mix plants?

redlove123(5a)April 5, 2004

I was told by my grandma that my great-grandma would take a left from a blue violet and a leaf from a red violet and slice the 2 stems at an angle so they would fit together. She would then adhear them together somehow and plant into soil. As long as the 2 leaves were stuck perfect they would become one plant and the blooms would be a mix of all color. IS this possible or are they just pulling my chain. this would have been in the 50's when she tryed this. But she is not longer around. Any info would be good hear about this one. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stefanb8(z7 MD)

I believe that this is something that could be better answered on the African Violet forum (the popular houseplants that can be easily rooted from leaf cuttings are quite different from true violets). While some sort of graft chimera is a possibility, it could also be that the two leaves rooting in such close proximity would eventually give the appearance of a single plant with two different flower colors. If leaves taken from such a plant and rooted separately developed into plants with only one of the two colors, the latter is most likely what actually happened. The African Violet forum would be an appropriate place to pose your question; otherwise, it might take experimentation on your part to get closer to the truth.

Bookmark   April 9, 2004 at 1:20AM
More Discussions
Identification help
Found this growing wild in our woods in Northwest Arkansas....
dendrologist
how to save my viola
Hi! So the short story: My Viola is totally dry and...
Puchinita5
Viola x wittrockiana
Where does one get the Viola x wittrockiana in Sacramento,...
thorspippi
Viola ordata 'Czar' does anyone grow this species?
I ordered the seeds from Swallowtail, I have Winter...
ladyrose65
stinky violets
Well, I *finally* managed to obtain a plant of Viola...
Ted - Maine - 5a
Sponsored Products
Gandia Blasco | Sahara Planter 3
$595.00 | YLighting
Pre-owned Reclaimed Sheet Metal Plant Stand
$800.00 | Chairish
Progress Lighting Path & Landscape Lights Black 1-light Landscape Spotlight
$94.86 | Home Depot
David Bromstad Orange "Flowers in Unity" Artwork
Grandin Road
New Leaf Framed Panel Set/6
$283.80 | Bludot