Seed swap/plant ID

blueridgemtngrl(6b)April 1, 2008

I know it is a bit early for the folks in the north, but violets are starting to bloom here, and I was wondering if anyone was still interested in seeds.

I am posting pics of some I can't identify

I'd also be willing to exchange plants. It seems most of what I have don't colonize much, so I won't have a lot to share but can certainly do a few trades.

Blue Ridge Mountain Girl

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stefanb8(z7 MD)

I don't know that I'm in a position to do any swapping this year, but I did want to mention that the beautiful plant in your photo might be Viola lanceolata:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=VIOLA

Stefan

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 10:02PM
brandymulvaine

Greetings Blueridgermtgrl,
I would love to swap!! Like you said though I've got to wait for things to thaw out!!
I have some plants of a purple violet that loves to spread probably V. soraria, it blooms early spring and has no scent(that I can tell). I also have a small labrador violet that should bloom this year. Oh and about a bazzilion pansies started from seed this year-I'm learning- I thought if it said "viola" it was a violet and if it said "pansy" then that's what it was! At least they're pretty mistakes!!LOL!! I wanted more violets!! Also ordered V.blanda,V.pubescens,V.pedata,and V.canadinsis(10 each) I don't know if they will flower this year and I've never ordered from this company before(fingers crossed!!). Let me know if there's anything that interests you.... Thanks -B

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 12:13AM
blueridgemtngrl(6b)

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for the ID. It sure looks like mine. What's interesting is that the distribution map shows counties in the southeast part of the state, and I'm in the mountains. I realize the data isn't complete, but it doesn't show any counties in my area.

Thanks again for the ID. I'll be posting a few more once more are blooming. Some I've identified but I still have a couple I haven't.

Blue Ridge Mountain Girl

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 4:15PM
More Discussions
Viola ordata 'Czar' does anyone grow this species?
I ordered the seeds from Swallowtail, I have Winter...
ladyrose65
how to save my viola
Hi! So the short story: My Viola is totally dry and...
Puchinita5
Growing Parma Violets
Does anyone have helpful hints for growing Parma Violets...
helenaviolet
Trying to Identifty type of violet
Last year I was shopping for some flowers at Lowe's...
yelena79
Viola 'Columbine'
Hi. I live in Michigan, zone 6, and had what I thought...
pondluvr
Sponsored Products
Cove Neck White Finish One Light Outdoor Wall Sconce with Clear Seeded Glass
$49.99 | Bellacor
Serena & Lily Braided Abaca Rug
Serena & Lily
Long Lafitte
Lightology
Case Study 3 Bowl Plant Stand - Small - Modernica
$595.00 | HORNE
Red Carpet Studios Cyclones Spinner Multicolor - 31981
$18.99 | Hayneedle