Who are we?

jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)April 22, 2003

Just some of the violets I grew up with out in the yard... no scent... But with this wonderful resource in this forum, I just wanted to confirm the species for my own info. Very prolific little guys but always a welcome sight for me in spring! I scooped these up and temporarily stuck them in those little pots. Will be transplanting into a bowl container. The white ones apparently got mowed many times last spring and so they are now all over the middle of mom's yard...LOL The purples were up first about a week or two ago and the whites finally made an appearance in the past couple days.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
membertom(zone 6)

Jenny,
Here goes for a second time. The first response got lost when I tried to go back from the preview page.(frustrating) Anyway, I'm no expert, but they look like they would be Viola sororia. The bottom one would be what I call a Confederate Violet. Both the purple and Confederate forms are growing in my parent's back yard also. I've potted up quite a few and am in the process of trying crosses with other violet species. Oh and speaking of no scent, I had thought so too ... but on a warm day try gathering a bundle of each type (purple and Confederate) and then smell. I bet you'll find the Confederates have a mild, sweet scent - kind of like honeysuckle. Even if not, they're still great to have around.
Have a good season, Tom

Bookmark   April 23, 2003 at 7:43AM
Mike Hardman(Cyprus, 100m altitude)

Yup - I'd go along with Tom - V. sororia and V. sororia f. priceana. There are also pink cultivars of both of these.

Thanks for the piccies - brightens up the forum.

(OK - yes Natahlie - thanks for yours the other day, too - you know I would not forget you :) )

Bookmark   April 23, 2003 at 6:57PM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

Thank you!!! I've seen pics of the pink and they're pretty. Always cheery little flowers! I'll have to hope for some warmer weather to catch a fragrance from them. It's been sortof chilly and overcast here this month with a few days of sun and warm temperatures in between.

Bookmark   April 23, 2003 at 7:51PM
Lois_MO(6)

I found some yellow ones growing in our "forest" last year. Moved some up by the house, but so far, haven't seen them. I think my husband plowed them under. They are back in the "forest" tho again this year. Had never seen a yellow one before. I love theselittle beautiful flowers here in MO. In CA they are cultivated, but have a little bulb/root system. I have the purple/white ones too, having moved a couple plants from the grass/yard area into a special area where I have protected them. Here they are wild, but everywhere! and so pretty!

Bookmark   April 27, 2003 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Trying to Identifty type of violet
Last year I was shopping for some flowers at Lowe's...
yelena79
how to save my viola
Hi! So the short story: My Viola is totally dry and...
Puchinita5
Named violas - U.S. nursery
I came across a nursery in the U.S. tonight which sells...
marguerite_gw
violets inside?
Has anyone tried growing violets, especially viola...
merrybookwyrm
Happy with Violet order
I recently ordered 4 violets from Goodwin Creek Nursey...
mlb86
Sponsored Products
Dionyx Stainless Steel One-Light Crystal Swarovski Elements Wall Sconce, 5.5W x
$834.00 | Bellacor
Franklin Leather Loveseat - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
Artemide | Naiade Recessed Square Outdoor Floor Light
$940.00 | YLighting
Greendale Bed Rest Duck Pillow - BR5194-BLACK
$28.82 | Hayneedle
Geo Medallion Rug 3'6" x 5'6" - BLUE/WHITE
$399.00 | Horchow