Invasive viola labradorica

sheilab5(z7 GA)April 19, 2003

Being a naive gardener a few years ago, I planted viola labradorica in a landscaping bed that borders my yard. I now have violets all through my grass....talk about invasive!! I've tried several weed killers but nothing seems to work. The grass is Bermuda. Does anyone know of anything I can use to kill this stuff without killing my grass and without having to dig up the noninvasive plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stefanb8(z7 MD)

You will definitely need to use a broadleaf herbicide again in order to kill the violets without harming the grass (it will kill any broadleaf plant, not just weeds - if you are concerned about killing a non-invasive plant nearby). The trick is that some weeds, like violets, can be especially tenacious and you'll have to do several successive applications every few weeks before the unwanted plants are gone. Pick an herbicide labeled for violets that lists dicamba as an ingredient in addition to the 2,4-D et al for the most effective treatment. Also, be sure to carefully follow the packaging instructions - improper temperatures and water/rain can render some products less useful.

If this should prove useless, then your only alternatives are to kill the grass and violets together with a nonselective herbicide and reseed/sod the lawn anew, or to dig out the violets and continue to dig out any seedlings that appear later on (which may go on for quite some time). Personally, I would enjoy having the violets in the grass and even encourage it - perhaps add even more species and varieties for diversity - but I certainly understand that this is simply not the look some people want. Good luck!

Stefan

Bookmark   April 20, 2003 at 3:37AM
romando(9b/10a , sunset 17)

LOL where I'm from, bermuda grass is the cursed intruder and violets are sought after and lovingly cultivated!!

Bookmark   May 13, 2003 at 12:20AM
MeMyselfAndI(5/6 central OH)

Put a sign in your yard that says "free violets."

Bookmark   May 18, 2003 at 10:39PM
Ron_B

You have Viola riviniana. V. riviniana 'Purpurea' is the V. labradorica of gardens.

My neighbor to the south has V. riviniana all through the upper part of his front lawn, too. It's cute at flowering time.

Bookmark   May 20, 2003 at 11:11PM
jcsgreenthumb(6b)

Hi,

Would you be interested in trading some of your invasive violets? They aren't invasive in my area :)

Jeanne

Bookmark   May 21, 2003 at 3:36PM
More Discussions
What size pots?
I'm getting ready to transplant a violet that has at...
secsteve
Viola labradorica 'purpurea' = V. riviniana? (what's the story)
Just following up on a comment someone made in a previous...
lrobins
whats wrong with my perrnial violet
I bought a perrnial violet at Wal-Mart it has flowers...
michael1846
Viola x wittrockiana
Where does one get the Viola x wittrockiana in Sacramento,...
thorspippi
Identification help
Found this growing wild in our woods in Northwest Arkansas....
dendrologist
Sponsored Products
Positive Thinking Baskets - Set of 2
| Dot & Bo
Navy Carlyle Curtain Panel - Set of Two
$14.99 | zulily
Foscarini | Kite Wall Sconce
$595.00 | YLighting
Arteriors Home - Viola Chandelier - 86764
Great Furniture Deal
Viola 24-piece Contemporary Floral Room in a Bag with Sheet Set
Overstock.com