Worm Identification

flooperer(BC)December 16, 2005

Hi, I got my worms from nearby manure pile and I'm not sure which type they are. They are doing well, I've had them for about two months and they are really starting to multiply now, lots of new worms and capsules too. I just wonder which species they are, is there an easy way to tell by looking at them, or by region? I found them in a great big manure pile in Vancouver BC.

Thanks, Matt.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chuckiebtoo

Matt, from all you've said, it sounds to me like you have British Columbian manure worms which, as I understand it, were brought into Canada unintentionally in the 60's in VW vans by One-A flower children immigrating from the US to avoid the Vietnam draft. The worms and cocoons were unknowingly secreted in the pot plants the kids brought with them (if you know what I mean).

I've heard those worms only thrive in fertile soil suitable for growing weed. What kind of farm were you at when you first found them digging in that manure pile?

Chuckiebtoo

Bookmark   December 17, 2005 at 11:45AM
flooperer(BC)

Hi, thanks for the reply. The worms came from a large pile of horse manure, several local stables compost their manure there.
The worms look like pictures of red wigglers I've seen online and are doing well in my bins, I think/hope they are either E. foetida or R. lumbricus, I wondered if there was a way to tell just for interest.

Matt

Bookmark   December 17, 2005 at 6:13PM
chuckiebtoo

Oh Matt, I was just half-joking. Without pics or a cadaver, it's kinda hard to determine. But they ARE manure red worms, usually called red wigglers. Sounds like they're doing real well, too.

I have access to composted horse manure and use it extensively. My EF love me for it.

Chuckiebtoo

Bookmark   December 17, 2005 at 7:58PM
sqh1(z7 NC)

flooperer.. welcome to this forum..and chuckiebtoo's humor. I visit here often and enjoy the experience and humor shared..:) Your worms do sound like they are happy. ID-ing worms, from all I have heard, is not an easy thing to do, but it sounds like they are manure worms and perhaps redworms.

Bookmark   December 17, 2005 at 8:44PM
boreal_wormer(Alta Canada)

If you really want to know have a look at the link below for an online Taxonomic Key

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm Watch - Taxonomic Key

Bookmark   December 17, 2005 at 11:22PM
More Discussions
For what its worth
I have two inside bins one homemade and one factory...
hummersteve
Help ID the worm?
Bought my little herd a year ago and kind of mixed...
rubyz_gw
Coaching Others
Hello, experts! I have offered my sage advice for a...
Merrygardener
Red Mites Eat My Garbage
Yes, it's true. Red mites have taken over my worm bin...
remarkikkin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™