Wild White Violet in Lawn

eibren(z6PA)May 13, 2008

We have a very shady area near a Norway maple that little, including lawn, will grow in, so I was rather charmed when a little white violet decided to locate there.

I am used to the litte purple kind that grows from leaves at the base, the way dandilion leaves are organized, and that are heart-shaped.

After a couple of years, the white violet has spread over an area of about ten square feet--not densely, but I have been watching it a bit because I do not like its growth habit as much. Instead of its leaves all staying at the base, they also emerge along a stem.

Given that I am located in South Central Pennsylvania near Reeser's Summit, could anyone on here guess as to the identity of this white violet? So far it has restricted itself to a very shady spot, but I would not want to see it competing with the purple ones, because I like those better.

I would like to be able to have a possible name for it so I could do some research as to its general characteristics--especially how it grows when not in deep shade.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
etii(France 8)

Hi !

Without a pic it's a kind of impossible mission: there are so many white violets !!
Sorry for that :-/

Yours - Thierry :-)

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 3:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandymulvaine

eibrin, does it look like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: canadian violet

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 3:58AM
More Discussions
Looking for sweet violet expert to talk to
I'm a hobby gardener who's interested in violets and...
melissa_thefarm
Viola x wittrockiana
Where does one get the Viola x wittrockiana in Sacramento,...
thorspippi
What kind of violet is this?
I took 2 leaves off of the mother plant less than a...
Avery09
Viola 'Columbine'
Hi. I live in Michigan, zone 6, and had what I thought...
pondluvr
Saving pansy and viola seeds for next season
Hi all, I'm starting a lot of varieties of pansies...
CaraRose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™