Newbie!!!

gridwormDecember 7, 2009

Hello!

Last week I started a worm compost in a Rubbermaid container. I live in Indiana and it is getting cold! My compost bin is in the laundry room which is off the kitchen. It will stay between 60-70 degrees. My biggest worry is that it will stink up the house. Funny thing is I put it right next to the cat box. If I do this right will there be a smell?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbryce_gw

A well maintained worm bin will not have a strong smell. At some point you will do something wrong, and you will have to put up with the smell for a few days, but these things seem to work themselves out fairly quickly. Some foods just smell. Onions, broccoli, cabbage, etc have a strong smell that will be noticeable for a day or two if you feed them to your worms.

When you get a good feel for how much to feed the worms, and the worms get well established, the smells will either be pleasant, or subtle. I have rotten potatoes in my bin right now, and you wouldn't know it.

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 7:19PM
marauder01

I would recommend careful feeding (ie, not overfeeding).

When you do feed, try to cover the new feed with a little bedding to minimise odour.

Any smells you get will be gone again once the worms get into the decaying food. For example, I once adding too much kitchen scraps in one hit, and they reeked for about 3 days (my bad), but after that, no smells and happy worms. So, if I can put up with it, I tend to batch feed in larger lumps less often, and in a day or two, all is just fine.

IMHO, do it, it'll be OK

Cheers

Bookmark   December 12, 2009 at 1:18AM
saaak

Bump

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
Shredded Cardboard Question
I am a vermicompost novice with two bins right now...
bassopotamus
How do I delete my photos ?
Where did the edit feature go ? Houzz is a venal predator...
barbararose21101
Come Out and Play, Worming Friends!
Please oh please don't go! I think we can adjust to...
Merrygardener
The church is not a stone building, but a group of people with legs.
Really long leg, whereas, worms have none. They would...
equinoxequinox
For what its worth
I have two inside bins one homemade and one factory...
hummersteve
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™