Newbie!!!

gridwormDecember 7, 2009

Hello!

Last week I started a worm compost in a Rubbermaid container. I live in Indiana and it is getting cold! My compost bin is in the laundry room which is off the kitchen. It will stay between 60-70 degrees. My biggest worry is that it will stink up the house. Funny thing is I put it right next to the cat box. If I do this right will there be a smell?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbryce_gw

A well maintained worm bin will not have a strong smell. At some point you will do something wrong, and you will have to put up with the smell for a few days, but these things seem to work themselves out fairly quickly. Some foods just smell. Onions, broccoli, cabbage, etc have a strong smell that will be noticeable for a day or two if you feed them to your worms.

When you get a good feel for how much to feed the worms, and the worms get well established, the smells will either be pleasant, or subtle. I have rotten potatoes in my bin right now, and you wouldn't know it.

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 7:19PM
marauder01

I would recommend careful feeding (ie, not overfeeding).

When you do feed, try to cover the new feed with a little bedding to minimise odour.

Any smells you get will be gone again once the worms get into the decaying food. For example, I once adding too much kitchen scraps in one hit, and they reeked for about 3 days (my bad), but after that, no smells and happy worms. So, if I can put up with it, I tend to batch feed in larger lumps less often, and in a day or two, all is just fine.

IMHO, do it, it'll be OK

Cheers

Bookmark   December 12, 2009 at 1:18AM
saaak

Bump

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
best VC recipe to start plants in greenhouse?
I'm going to start seedlings in a high tunnel and was...
chazz1100
Worm Sounds
Everyone I mention this to thinks I am crazy ;) I know...
mendopete
Worms and assorted flying things
So I've got two bins going right now, and both have...
bassopotamus
Worm Factory outdoors
Would this kill the worms or just decrease their activity...
pasmack
Coaching Others
Hello, experts! I have offered my sage advice for a...
Merrygardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™