Variegated foliage on violets?

PamelaZ(z5 NW PA)May 11, 2004

Is this possible? I've never seen green and yellow foliage on a violet but they are growing wild in the cemetery across the street. They have very small leaves and dark purple flowers. Is this a find a just a common accident?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mike Hardman(Cyprus, 100m altitude)

Yes it is possible.
But no it is not a common accident.

So it would be very interesting to see a piccy, please Pamela...

Several cultivars are known with variegated foliage (green with white or cream/yellow), eg. 'Rodney Davey', 'Fuji Dawn', 'Dancing Geisha', 'Albo marginata', 'Armandine Millet', The Czar Variegated', 'Marie Giuerin', Quatre Saisons Variegated', 'Tigre Or', arising from various species (eg. odorata, alba, riviniana, selkirkii, variegata, tokubuchiana).
I have also seen variegated leaves on Vv. keiskei, jaubertiana, septemloba?, reichenbachiana, betonicifolia, eg.

In a cemetary, V. odorata is quite likely, though US natives could easily crop up there as well. It would be very interesting to find out which species you have noticed, since I don't think any of the early variegated odorata cultivars are still going. Kathleen Inman has/had a good cream-edged V. odorata, at least a few years ago, but it was not ascribed to a particular cultivar. And I think Bob Brown sourced one from New Zealand a few years back, if memory serves me correctly. But those are very unusual finds. We need a piccy of yours!! You may have rediscovered an old cultivar or found what could become a new one...

Bookmark   May 12, 2004 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
Named violas - U.S. nursery
I came across a nursery in the U.S. tonight which sells...
marguerite_gw
Dividing Parma violets
I have two lovely Parmas... Duchesse de Parme and Comte...
scott_madison
Viola x wittrockiana
Where does one get the Viola x wittrockiana in Sacramento,...
thorspippi
Viola ordata 'Czar' does anyone grow this species?
I ordered the seeds from Swallowtail, I have Winter...
ladyrose65
Saving pansy and viola seeds for next season
Hi all, I'm starting a lot of varieties of pansies...
CaraRose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™