nominations for best plant nurseries in state?

merrybookwyrmApril 15, 2011

north central Texas

Nicholson-Hardie

Redenta's Garden

North Haven Gardens

south central Texas

Antique Rose Emporium

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
running_gardener

Stuart's in Weatherford has the best selection, most affordable native shrubs and trees that I've found.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 9:06PM
sfmathews(7B/8A)

Second for Redenta's & Northaven!

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 9:40PM
ocgf(Z8)

I like Barton Springs Nursery and The Natural Gardener in Austin. King Feed is the best in Wimberley.

Omar

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 12:55AM
PKponder TX(7b)

A second for Stuart's. The prices and selection are great and they really have very knowledgeable folks working there.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 6:08AM
merrybookwyrm

Thank you for telling abot Stuart's. That is new to me. Weston Gardens in Fort Worth is nice, too.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 12:26PM
rowdysmom

I second the Natural Gardener in Austin!

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 5:20PM
soxxxx

Blue Moon Gardens
13062 FM 279
Chandler TX
903 852 397
bluemoongardens.com

Located a few miles west of Pounds Field (the airport) in Tyler, Texas. I could stay there all day.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 10:49PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

I'm putting in a second vote for Weston's, and if you're into azaleas, rhodedendrons and maples, Metro Maples.

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 9:45PM
ExoticRGVNativesTy(10a TX)

I'll nominate Heep's Nursery in Harlingen, as it's the best source of native plants that I know of. All 1 gallon plants cost $5, even for extremely rare species that no other nursery carries.

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 12:26AM
alameda/zone 8

I second Blue Moon Gardens - Hand Nursery is nearby, always has beautiful blooming things, not a huge nursery, but I always find something I must have. Chamblees Rose Nursery in Tyler is the best for own root, reasonably priced roses. The Antique Rose Emporium in Brenham is another favorite. Cook's in Nacogdoches is excellent.

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 10:23AM
primbynature

alameda....where is Hand Nursery? I saw a Hand Rose Farms online but it stated it was wholesale only.....

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 7:59PM
cynthianovak

Green's Produce on Arkansas in Arlington had a great selection of hard to find plants last year and they are getting them in again this year. If you can't find what you want a Redenta's they are just east of them on the same street. Knowledgeable staff too. I'm a long time fan of Hare's on Division in ARlington too.

thumb's up to others mentioned. Sure wish I could get back to ARE this spring. Came back with a car full of plants last May.

c

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 11:28PM
loonie1(TX7b)

My favorite nursery for native plants is Rohde's in Garland. North Haven is nice, too. A fun day trip is Blue Moon Nursery. I could wander around all day.

Carla

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 11:38AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Barton Springs Nursery, Natural Gardener and the Great outdoors in Austin Texas are tied in my mind.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 11:57PM
phxplantaddict

What nursery has the best selection of tropical fruit trees? Mangoes, Jaboticaba, starfruit?

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 12:28AM
jtyrie(Z7+ DFW)

The Flower Ranch in Keller is pretty nice. A very wide selection and helpful staff. Lots of times, you have to buy a whole flat but they also have some individual plants.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 12:21PM
marti8a

I can't remember the name of it, so hopefully someone will know - it was a nursery just outside Fredericksburg. Huge, with lots of natives, seeds - I could have stayed all day.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 10:23PM
sonic_banana(8)

@marti8a - Wildseed Farms?

I've never been there but hopefully will someday. My fav is Blue Moon Gardens.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 4:14PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

In San Antonio I like the two Rainbow Gardens and of course Antique Rose Emporium.

Wildseed Farms in Fredericksburg is wonderful! Bob, Tammy and I were there a couple of weeks ago. There was only one field of blooming wildflowers to be seen this time. I guess the others had already been harvested, but there were acres of beautiful plants and literally tons of gorgeous pots. The pictures below don't even begin to show them all.

They don't have the butterfly house any more, but instead a new butterfly garden, also a nice new waterfall garden. It's definitely a great place to visit and from which to buy plants and seeds; and also crafts from their gift shop.

The Friday we were there they had a tent set up and were selling plates of fresh barbequed brisket and sausage they were doing on the spot. I don't know how often that happens.

Plus there is all the other neat things in Fredericksburg to see and do. The Nimitz Museum is fascinating and well worth the time spent there, and all the quaint little shops along the main street are fun to browse.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 5:12PM
marti8a

Yes! Wildseed Farms. How could I have forgotten that. I even have it bookmarked. Loved that place.

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 6:42PM
dwf1(8)

McIntire's Garden Center, Georgetown
It's always nice to go to a nursery where the staff is friendly but most important they know what they sell.

Here is a link that might be useful: McIntire's Garden Center

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 1:27PM
zippity1

arbor gate in tomball

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!
I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on...
remuda1
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
"Takes pruning--blooms on new growth"
What does this mean exactly? This is what my Plants...
violetwest
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
Some Serious Spines ...
These look like some serious spines! But I love their...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™