Native variegated violet......Viola Walteri?

debbido(z 7b/8a)June 3, 2003

Hi there! I was out on one of my usual plant digs in some woods that are about to be cleared when I saw a beautiful variegated violet. I found some that are very small rounded heartshape. These are very small. I guess about the size of a quarter. There were alot of these connected together by underground runners. These look like the pictures of the Viola Walteri. There was another one that looked exactly the same in size and shape as the regular woods violets except that it had the same coloration of the viola walteri. These were very large. Perhaps one leaf was the size of the palm of your hand. Do you have any idea about the ID of either one. Do you think the smaller on is the Viola Walteri? Thanks for any help. These were absolutely gorgeous, and I had never seen them before. Needless to say, they are in my garden now.

Thanks,

Deb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mike Hardman(Cyprus, 100m altitude)

...Could well be V. walteri; mine have leaves bigger than a quarter, but richness of growing conditions (and time of year / age of the leaves) can make a lot of difference. That said, I've not seen a walteri leaf the size of my palm, though I would say there is a good chance that one is in fact the same species. The other candidate that comes to mind for the big-leaved plant is V. hastata, but its leaves are quite pointed.

Bookmark   June 3, 2003 at 7:29PM
debbido(z 7b/8a)

Thanks for the response. I am going to see if I can get a friend to take a picture with her digital and post it. It is definitely not the V. hastata. It is shaped exactly like a common violet, just variegated.

Thanks,
Deb

Bookmark   June 4, 2003 at 12:52AM
nathalie

The Viola walteri I grow has not so big leaves...
Here is a link to a picture..It is not so obvious on it but the variegation and under the leaves it turns to purple...

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 4, 2003 at 5:54AM
More Discussions
What kind of violet is this?
I took 2 leaves off of the mother plant less than a...
Avery09
Happy with Violet order
I recently ordered 4 violets from Goodwin Creek Nursey...
mlb86
how to save my viola
Hi! So the short story: My Viola is totally dry and...
Puchinita5
Viola ordata 'Czar' does anyone grow this species?
I ordered the seeds from Swallowtail, I have Winter...
ladyrose65
10th International Violet Meeting
Hi, We are organizing the 10th International Violet...
teofilobeja
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™