slug damage

dimmJune 18, 2006

I get a lot of holes on my violet leaves if I neglect to control the slug population for even a few days. Will I damage the health of my plants by cutting off those damaged leaves during the growing season? Are there other pests that I should be looking for? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
etii(France 8)

Hi !

According to what I've tried out, slugs are not too much a problem except for seedling. There are many ways to control them and not get invade anyway. Of course, it's depending how big your garden is. I don't think cutting leaves will be useful except for aesthetic reasons :-)
However, the red spider is definitively a Fu----g pain in the ass: hell on earth :-/ Great time for them right now and great time for chemicals as well :-( Cutting can be helpful then. Some cut all the leaves during summer not to get into that trouble or to control it. Maybe someone (Nathalie ?) could tell you more...
I've also tried a new one for me: sciaride !!! A gross fly laying in the ground: larvae eat the roots ! I was about to loose that wonderful viola mirabilis, fortunately it didn't die however some of my parmes did !
Which one will be the next ? ;-) It's written: seven plagues, only 7 !!!!!! ;-)

Take care :-)
Thierry.

Bookmark   June 18, 2006 at 5:45AM
dimm

Thank you very much for your advice- is the red spider bright colored and the size of a grain of sand? I have some other violets that have very wrinkly leaves, look paler than the others, and I don't see any bugs on them...

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 4:47AM
rob_peace(VIC Aust)

some of the old english books on growing violets commercially suggest that runners and some leaves should be removed during the season. the runners can be use to make new plants. the grooming of the plants by removing some leaves opens the plant crown to more light. this is considered to stimulate the plant to flower better. i heavily 'prune' my plants in the early autumn. this also removes a lot of old and damaged leaves. many of these will be somewhat affected by pest and pestilence. based on the old advice and my own experience, i'd say you canÂt go wrong removing some damaged foliage.
rob...

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 5:18AM
More Discussions
Mystery Violet (true Viola species)
Any assistance with the identification of a mystery...
rufino
Viola x wittrockiana
Where does one get the Viola x wittrockiana in Sacramento,...
thorspippi
stinky violets
Well, I *finally* managed to obtain a plant of Viola...
Ted - Maine - 5a
whats wrong with my perrnial violet
I bought a perrnial violet at Wal-Mart it has flowers...
michael1846
whats wrong with my violet?
My mother in law has had this lovely african violet...
Sairsyfairy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™