Mushrooms near my prized plant - Should I be worried?

tomahtohsJune 29, 2013

Hey, all!

So I have a healthy plant growing in a half-wine barrel in our front yard. The location in which it stands gets about 6 hours of sun a day. This is usually enough to dry it out nicely after a rain, but in the last few days we've just gotten Slammed by storm after storm. (we've picked up about 6 inches of rain in two days)

As a result, the barrel hasn't had a good chance to dry off in about four days. This morning, I noticed some nicely developed mushrooms popping up at the very edge of the barrel. This is about a foot away from the main stem of the plant. I know that fungus usually doesn't mix with tomato plants, but I'm not sure if these 'shrooms pose a threat since they're not actually touching the plant in any way.

I'm also a little nervous to move them, as I definitely do not want to unwittingly spread spores from them in the process and hurt my plant. The mushrooms are about an inch wide at the cap, and are a lovely reddish brown color, if that matters at all. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Not a threat. If you don't want them there, remove and compost them.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 5:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Many of us consider them a sign of healthy soil. Toadstools are just a fungus and a beneficial one at that that usually signifies a healthy organic matter level in the soil. Soil dries out and they disappear back into the soil. Sure aren't anything to fear.

Dave

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
How do I stabilize a possible hybrid?
Hi, I am in New Zealand where heirloom seeds are relatively...
Microphobik
Brown tomato leaves
What's wrong with the leaves on this tomato? Is it...
chrishashtags_gw
Can I prevent mealy tomatoes?
I cut open my first ripen tomato and it was totally...
snoop92
Best short season tomato varieties?
I would like to make sure I am harvesting ripe tomatoes...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™