Kitchen Garbage Can into Flow Through System?

cp-arclightDecember 7, 2009

Hi all. Still a newbie, but my colony is thriving and produces a good yield of castings every Sunday during their feeding / harvesting.

I would like to make the feeding / harvesting cycle more efficient, and it looks like a flow through system is what I should be aiming for. To that end, would I be able to convert an existing kitchen garbage can into a flow through bin?

The garbage can is of the type you'd find in a pantry. Flip lid; takes the 13-gallon garbage bags. Cheap, but made from durable plastic that's easily cut using a jig saw - the modifications won't be a problem...

Has this type of flow through system been done before, and what were the results?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
11otis

Here is a link to a post re. a garbage can flow through system:
http://vermicomposters.ning.com/profiles/blogs/mini-flow-through-bins

Bookmark   December 8, 2009 at 12:46AM
rookie09

I have done several of these and the worms do very well. I haven't had the patience to harvest out of the bottom much but when I did it was definitely easier.
Don't put too much of a bottom layer if you are wanting to harvest soon.

Good luck.

Bookmark   December 8, 2009 at 9:49PM
cp-arclight

Otis & Rookie,

Thanks for the link and confirmation from personal experience!

The trash bin in the link looks almost identical to the one I have. Mine's a bit taller, though.

Cheers!

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 10:38PM
wildgoat

I can't tell from those photos how it's supposed to work. Is the finished product supposed to fall through that newspaper liner or something?

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 3:38AM
plumiebear(z9? CA)

"Continuous flow bins are relatively deep containers with raised floors made from widely spaced welded wires. The system is generally bedded by laying several sheets of newspaper over the wire floor , on top of which is spread roughly six inches of damp bedding. The newspaper sheets, which eventually decompose, serve to prevent bedding from initially falling through the floor until the worms have had an opportunity to work through it. Worms are added to the system and food waste is added gradually, layered with bedding material, just the same as in the top-feeding method of system management. The system is continually fed until the bin is nearly full. The worms move upward through the feedstock/bedding layers. When fed at the appropriate rate, they concentrate some four inches below the surface, where microbial activity is highest. If the system is overfed, the worms will spread [vertically] throughout the bin material, reducing the efficiency of the system. Once the bin is nearly full of material, vermicompost is removed ..."

Here is a link that might be useful: CONTINUOUS FLOW BINS

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 1:58PM
plumiebear(z9? CA)

Click on the link below to see the bottom of a flow through bin once the newspaper has degraded.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flow through bottom

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 2:04PM
gwtamara

bump

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 2:56PM
forestelves

I don't have a Flow through system I just do corner feeding and when the bin is full. I clean it that day and refill with moist newspaper. In a flow through system is where you don't have to clean the bin that day you just put a new bin on top and once the worms go up you clean the bottom bin when you feel like it.

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
Air: Pump + Stone
How about a 5" airstone disc with a small (for...
barbararose21101
Help ID the worm?
Bought my little herd a year ago and kind of mixed...
rubyz_gw
When to start feeding in Second Tray of Worm Factory
When should I start feeding in Second Tray of Worm...
charlieboring
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
Food stock variety
Found this online in a university research paper on...
charitycomposter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™