Some reading to enjoy...

stefanb8(z7 MD)August 23, 2005

I found by chance while searching the web, an online text through the Project Gutenberg; it is John Ruskin's Proserpina, Volume 2, Studies Of Wayside Flowers. In it you will find that the first chapter is a lengthy and delightful exploration of the violet. I hope you all find it as pleasurable as I did!

And here is the link:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15088/15088.txt

Stefan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
etii(France 8)

I realize I'll never be able to read such a long text in English (headache is coming !!LOL)
Should I try later ? ;-)

.............\\://
..........(@ @)
--o00---(_)---00o--
Thierry.

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 1:43AM
rob_peace(VIC Aust)

thanks, stefan....
a very interesting read!
thierry? dont worry! that text is in very convoluted mid-19th century english. it takes concentration and patience to read. it's rather like a roccoco painting...lots of decorative twists.
thanks again stefan!
rob...

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 6:41PM
stefanb8(z7 MD)

You're most welcome, Rob! And Thierry, maybe you could try some translation website to help - unless the English to French turn out as much garbage as the French to English translators do ;-) Anyway, I hope you do continue reading!

Stefan

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 6:37AM
nathalie

..thanks Stefan..Of course I couldn't read all the stuff!! lol!! ...but to what I understood..no mention of parmas of any double sweet violets isn't it? Regarding to the date (1888) it could be interesting to have any tracks for old cultivars...Could you or Rob enlight me on this point pleeeaase? ;-))

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 1:40PM
stefanb8(z7 MD)

Right Nathalie, he seems to have been primarily interested in those violets which were found growing wild in England at the time. It is really too bad that he couldn't slip in a bit about the cultivated violets of the day, because certainly that was a good era for them! Even if he held them in disdain... but surely there are other sources that will turn up with mentions of such things. We will find them, eventually, I think :-)

Stefan

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 7:10PM
More Discussions
Growing Parma Violets
Does anyone have helpful hints for growing Parma Violets...
helenaviolet
Talking about named violas
If anyone is interested in discussing named violas...
marguerite_gw
stinky violets
Well, I *finally* managed to obtain a plant of Viola...
Ted - Maine - 5a
Viola 'Columbine'
Hi. I live in Michigan, zone 6, and had what I thought...
pondluvr
10th International Violet Meeting
Hi, We are organizing the 10th International Violet...
teofilobeja
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™