sororia 'emperor' ?

etii(France 8)September 1, 2005

Hi folks !

I've just bought a bunch of seeds (a murcan online shop).

Some are called: viola sororia "emperor blue vein", sororia "emperor white", viola sororia "emperor magenta red".

Has someone heard about that so called "emperor" ? Just wonder if they are not in fact, viola sororia, viola sororia alba and sororia rubra...eat at joe's lol !

If you have some informations before I plant them, U'll be welcome :-)

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mike Hardman(Cyprus, 100m altitude)

I have not seen these Emperors in the flesh, but I suspect the 'Emperor' part may be a trade name or trade mark; that is 'Emperor' signifies a company producing such plants, of already-known cultivars.

Things get a bit woolly here, depending on whether the trade name is registered or not, which may influence whether it should be included in the single quotes or not.

I won't go into detail, but consider the following - an excerpt from the FAQ at http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/pbr/faq.shtml:

"Can the name of my variety be, or include as part of the name, a trade mark registered under the Trade Marks Act 1995?
No. A trade mark cannot be, or be part of, the variety name. However, it is possible to use a trade mark in conjunction with a variety name, with the variety name having equal prominence. For example, it might be decided to market a range of varieties under the trade mark Elle. So that one might have Elle ÂCelebrationÂ, Elle ÂAnniversary or Elle ÂApplauseÂ.
If a commercial name is registered as a trade mark it cannot be used as a variety name. If a plant is marketed under a trade mark without PBR protection, a purchaser may produce from the plant freely and sell the product provided they donÂt use the trade mark."

Bookmark   September 16, 2005 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
Saving pansy and viola seeds for next season
Hi all, I'm starting a lot of varieties of pansies...
CaraRose
Viola labradorica 'purpurea' = V. riviniana? (what's the story)
Just following up on a comment someone made in a previous...
lrobins
Name of violet on violet forum
Can anyone tell me the name of the violet at the top...
karan_in_oregon
10th International Violet Meeting
Hi, We are organizing the 10th International Violet...
teofilobeja
whats wrong with my perrnial violet
I bought a perrnial violet at Wal-Mart it has flowers...
michael1846
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™