icicle pansies from seed?

carol_mi(z6 MI)September 2, 2003

I'd like to try growing icicle pansies from seed because I can't see buying them every year to replace worn out annuals in my flower box in late summer. Has anyone done this? I'm mainly wondering how to time the sowing so that they'll be ready by late August/early September.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Vicki_J(z6a NJ)

I doubt that you can find seeds for icicle pansies, they are hybrids marketed by Fernlea, a big corporation out of Canada. However, you can find seed for very similar pansies and violas from places like Thompson and Morgan, Burpee, Parks, etc. The only slightly tricky part of germinating the seed will be keeping the medium cool if it's a hot June and July. That's when I would start them here in Northern NJ where I'm zone 6A.
Let us know how it goes.
vicki

Bookmark   September 6, 2003 at 11:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmi188

I cut mine back hard in late May/early June, after they had dropped many seed. Planted other things in the bed, but left the plants, and hoardes of seedlings. Now I am getting ready to pull the summer plants. The old plants are blooming again, and some of the seedlings are starting to bloom. I have enough seedlings for a very large area, not just the small bed they started in!!

Bookmark   September 6, 2003 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
What kind of violet is this?
I took 2 leaves off of the mother plant less than a...
Avery09
Viola labradorica 'purpurea' = V. riviniana? (what's the story)
Just following up on a comment someone made in a previous...
lrobins
how to save my viola
Hi! So the short story: My Viola is totally dry and...
Puchinita5
Name of violet on violet forum
Can anyone tell me the name of the violet at the top...
karan_in_oregon
Mystery Violet (true Viola species)
Any assistance with the identification of a mystery...
rufino
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™