Dog Pee Resistant Plants

bjb817April 8, 2011

I've gardened just fine with female dogs before, but now having a male in the mix is a game changer... Little fella likes to "water" everything I plant, which has caused a bit of frustration to say the least.

From the research I've done after my initial failure, I understand that salt tolerant plants should fare the best... This has not been the case across the board though. So far, this is what I've tried:

Successes:

Wax Myrtle

Cenizo

Failures:

Loropetelum

Abelia

Rock Rose

I have alot more planting to do, so any suggestions that y'all have been successful with would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucillle

I recently fenced off the garden area. The dogs (5) get to romp in a large grassy area, and the back yard garden can grow in peace. The 2 male dogs like to water everything; and one dog loves to chase lizards and their romping could do seripous damage to emerging flower and veggie seedlings. So my solution instead of tailoring the garden to the dogs, was to provide them an area where they can indulge in dog behavior.
My approach is not for everyone, but that is how I manage the dog/garden issue.

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 6:48AM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

My hell strip garden gets pee from every dog in town. I too put up a fence but it's just wire. The plants that survive are plants folks assure me are "weeds". Texas native dandilion (hey I love the pure,lemon yellow they are!), evening primrose, blue bonnets, lindhiemer's guara, kidneywood trees, lantana(toxic to dogs if they eat it),pear cactus in a pot(will take over, dogs will avoid it), wildflowers (blanket flower, coreopsis, lemon mint etc......) and coneflower but it will be kinda raggy, lousisana iris, and taro.

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 12:07PM
bjb817

Well, fencing really isn't an desirable option here... Luckily the problem is pretty well confined to the peeing male. They don't really dig or tear things up too bad...

Guess I'll just have to keep experimenting. At least the big boxes take returns on the dead plants!

Bookmark   April 12, 2011 at 2:37PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

You can train dogs who live in the house to eliminate in a certain area. Obviously this won't work with dogs left outside.

Bookmark   April 12, 2011 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
ravencajun, about your security cameras
I asked on the plant thieves thread where you posted...
marti8a
anyone seeing bluebonnets blooming yet?
I am on vacation this week and would love to take a...
PKponder TX
'Miss Kim' - A Lilac for South Texas
Lilac "Miss Kim" is a dependable bloomer...
Eric
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loreleicomal
Sponsored Products
Silk 15-inch Potted Cherry Blossom Bonsai Plant
Overstock.com
Vintage-Inspired Large Steel Rolling Cart
$274.99 | Dot & Bo
Tiverton Wool Area Rug
$949.00 | FRONTGATE
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
$39.00 | Home Depot
15711SS Kichler LED Submersible Accent Light
EnvironmentalLights.com