bottlebrush transplant shock

Ann_in_Houston(z9 Houston)April 20, 2011

We had to dig up a dwarf bottlebrush that turned out to have a really deep root system. Hubby had to cut a large root but it couldn't be helped. We moved it into a whiskey barrell with bagged tree and shrub dirt. Right away, the leaves started crinkling up. Is it dying or just shocked?

I know they are drought tolerant but is this a special situation? The dirt had plant food. Does that sound wrong for a bottlebrush?

What can I do for this shrub?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melvalena

I can't say for sure, but I'd say just wait and watch. Cut off the shriveled up stuff. Can you provide some shade for it until it recovers?

I moved a fall blooming aster 2 weeks ago. It moved with most its roots in place but it looked pitiful. I thought I'd killed it. :(
I finally placed a small patio table over it to shade it from the sun. Its perked up. I think its going to make it.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 6:04PM
ctroutline

Ann in Houston, Did the bottlebrush survive? I've just transplanted 8 dwarf bottlebrush with the same horrible result. Is there hope?

Bookmark   February 16, 2015 at 8:14AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I'm not Ann, but wanted to pass along that there is hope. I've found it's good to cut back the top of a plant by half or two thirds to make for the tiny feeder roots that are destroyed when a plant is dug up. Also if the sun is bright I prop boxes on sticks to shade new transplants until they recover enough to put out new leaves.

Keep us posted on how yours do. Wishing you the best.

Bookmark   February 16, 2015 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
"Takes pruning--blooms on new growth"
What does this mean exactly? This is what my Plants...
violetwest
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™