viola riviniana variegated :-)

etii(France 8)October 31, 2005

Hi !

Since last summer (a few month ago) my riviniana variegated is taking care of 2 little babies -I'm not sure about the 2 others, have to wait until I can see the variegated leaves- :-) The foliage is having a better look (remember the last photo I had posted) more green: I suppose is not hot enought hot for the virus but hot enought for the viola.

There's definitively a link between temperatures and virus activity :-) Have you observed the same ?

All the best :-)

Thierry.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mike Hardman(Cyprus, 100m altitude)

I have found variegated V. riviniana several times, usually self-sown beneath variegated plants (Vina minor or Sambucus nigra), but the variegation is usally not very good (not as good as Natha's in http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/violet/msg080452544219.html). But I have not thought there might be any effect of temperature on virus virility, but would be interested to hear if you find some evidence to support your hypothesis.

Bookmark   November 2, 2005 at 2:07PM
stefanb8(z7 MD)

Interesting - not virus virility, but rather a virus' ability to spread fully into the youngest meristematic tissue, is known to be affected by surplus heat. This is the basis for heat-treatment to eliminate viruses from plant stocks, although it is certainly not 100% and plenty of cases exist where the virus has made a slow return to previously "cleaned" stock. I have not heard of viruses being prevented by cold, but there is always that possibility. More reading to be done ;-)

Stefan

Bookmark   November 2, 2005 at 5:31PM
etii(France 8)

You're right Stefan. Denis gave me a link to a very interesting article talking about heat-treatment on virus in plants: sorry, it's in French ;-) for once lol.
I pray the one I don't believe in (God) not to see my viola cured ! I'm sure it can't anyway: Nat' has a green house where it's very hot during summer (more than 40°)and her riviniana is still variegated.
Mike, I'll never find any evidence, I'm definitively not a scientist, just an impassioned amateur trying to understand and wanting shared experiences for a better understanding.

I guess the point is: heat helps the virus but if it's too much, it obstructs it. The cold just make it sleep. Maybe without the falls and the winter, that viola would die.

Take care :-)
Thierry.

Here is a link that might be useful: heat-treatment

Bookmark   November 2, 2005 at 7:16PM
nathalie

I'd just add the comment that I noticed light seasonal variations in the variegation of this violet...Foliage being a bit greener ( more green? lol) during winter...

Take care of your babies etii! ;-))

Bookmark   November 5, 2005 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
stinky violets
Well, I *finally* managed to obtain a plant of Viola...
Ted - Maine - 5a
whats wrong with my violet?
My mother in law has had this lovely african violet...
Sairsyfairy
viola odorata, possible to grow indoors?
Hello, I am interested in purchasing a Viola Odorata...
Puchinita5
Named violas - U.S. nursery
I came across a nursery in the U.S. tonight which sells...
marguerite_gw
Perennial violets
Does anyone have a recommendation for a perennial violet...
crazymommy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™