Tomato TIGERELLA

behlgarden(9)June 7, 2012

Anyone planted or had tomato variety TIGERELLA? I ordered bunch of stuff from gardensalive.com when trying to get to $50 mark to get $25 discount, I ended up ordering this tomato, looked very pretty!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coconut_head(5b)

Interesting.... Your timing is... impecable? Please see the Mr Stripey thread for more info.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 4:38PM
mudman93(3)

I has also been called Mr. Stripey, which is a large bicolor yellow/orange tomato. Tigerella is a smaller red tomato with yellow stripes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tigerella/TOMATOBase

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 4:43PM
behlgarden(9)

Coconut_Head, on timing, this was just for next season, just wanted to get to $50 order to get $25 off, LOL. Could have picked up Brandyvine but I have a lot of those.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 4:45PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Yes, I just posted about Tigerella in the Mr. Stripey thread and gave the background and also said I didn't like it, well maybe not in detail, so I will now.

The taste is far too aggressive for me, quite tart and it splits with the AM dew. Others may like that kind of taste but not me when there are thousands of other varieties I'd rather grow. ( smile)

If one is an SSE member and looks in the annual Yearbook there are many listings for tiger this tiger that and all of them are about the same by description, that is small red with yellow/gold stripes.

Once having grown Tigerella I had no interest at all in growing anything else with Tigerly, Tiger, etc., as part of the variety name. LOL

Carolyn

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 6:48PM
coconut_head(5b)

Yes, that was what I meant by your timing, Carolyn had just given a description of it, so it was coincidental. I didn't mean anything about your planting timing.

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 9:05AM
behlgarden(9)

It looks like I got decived by the pictue and promped me to buy it. Growing a tomato from seed to fruit and actually getting to eat is a very lengthy, laborous, and expensive thing to do, I would rather focus on the ones that are good. I may ask for a return, not growing this one for sure. Thanks for insights.

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 5:13PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

behl, why not grow it and see if YOU like it. There are lots of folks who buy seeds for tomato varieties and it turns out that they don't like the plants/fruits.

And I bet you didn't pay too much for those seeds either. ( Smile)

It's just another aspect of choosing varieties as part of the tomato growing that we do and I know I wouldn't ask them to accept the seeds back and refund your money to you or even give you credit.

Just me own wee opinion here. ( smile)

Carolyn

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 5:20PM
jolj(7b/8a)

Sorry, but it was at Walmart 4 years ago,but it was called Tiger.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 4:51PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

jolj,in any one SSE Yearbook one can find the following varieties, pretty much the same but from different sources:

Tiger
Tiger Paw
Tiger Stripe
Tiger Tom
Tigerella
Tiger-like
Tigerly
Tiny Tiger

And while almost all of them are called tart by the folks who list them, and almost all describe them as red with yellow orange stripes, and while almost all of them are small, I'd like to say that there are real differences between them, but can't.

Carolyn

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
Quick Start
I sowed 6 tomato varieties yesterday in frozen garden...
goodground
Love San Marzano Redorta
There have been a lot of questions about what is the...
ikea_gw
Can a Cold Frame help Tomato plants get an early start?
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=438829066275054&set=vb.415805398577421&type=2&theater...
Randy L. Birth Sr.
Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato
Yeah - we have blossoms on our cherry tomatoes in Zone...
hudson___wy
Supermarket Tomatoes 4
On 1-27-15 I planted 4 more seeds again from a supermarket...
garf_gw
Sponsored Products
Oriental Weavers Sphinx Palermo 2674B 1'11" x 7'6" Tan Rug
$150.00 | PlushRugs
Wool Hallway Runner - Tomato
$212.99 | Dot & Bo
Emerson Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$199.00 | Bellacor
Meyda Tiffany Tia Mia Handkerchief Fused Glass Mini-Pendant
$306.00 | LuxeDecor
Glamos Wire Heavy Duty Stackable Support - 10 Pack - 701642
$187.54 | Hayneedle