best product for clover in st augustine grass?

aggiedude(z9 Houston, TX)January 28, 2006

what is the best product that any of you are aware of to kill clover growing my my st augustine lawn. from what I hear you have to be careful because many products are not safe for this type of grass.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sportscaper

Here in central Florida we use granular or liquid products with atrazine for broadleaf weed control in St. Augustine turf.

Bookmark   January 31, 2006 at 7:54AM
semcgowanjr_entouch_net

Leave it alone! Clover is the best thing you can have in your lawn. It's the chemical companies who have branded it as a weed so they can sell more weed-killer. Clover replenishes the nitrogen in the soil and needs less water. A lawn with clover in will stay green all summer.

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 8:30PM
just_curious(7b/8a Canada)

I too would leave it alone but, if you can't, I would spot treat with either suflur or urea. Clover dislikes them both. I've also used them in combination with success.
Some of the best herbicides for clover are expensive and hard on the enviornment

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 11:32PM
ice77angel

leave clover alone, it's harmless.

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 5:24AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Any broad leaf weed killer will unneccessarily kill off White Dutch Clover. When I was a child, 1950 era, WDC was planted in the lawn, purposely, to help provide some Nitrogen to help the grass grow (of course we did not them have allthe "fertilizers" we have now). As the turfgrass "fertilizer" industry grew and people had to have a large weed free pasture around their homes WDC became a weed, because the compnaies that made the "weed" poisons could not develop one that did not kill it.
Today this industry spend tons of money convincing Joe Homeowner that anything but grass in his lawn willcause irreparable harm to the physce of his children and he needs to spend lots of money eliminating those, adn that is hogwash. Leave the clover because it is better for your soil than the stuff you would use to eliminate it.

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 8:03AM
More Discussions
Bleach & Poison Ivy
A few days ago I did a search of the Weeds Forum to...
Xeramatheum
Neglected Yard
I moved into a house last winter and the yard seems...
reemlarki
What is the name of this ugly ivy growing in my yard???!!!?
Its almost all over my lawn well in the bk yard its...
ashleyq2222
Weed and feed help
I put bonus S weed and feed down a week or so ago and...
volcomstone4u
Chemical Free Weed Control? - Wild Violet, Plantain, Wild Strawb
Hello! What chemical free ways are available to rid...
nice_girl
Sponsored Products
Maroc Blueishivory Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$322.00 | Bellacor
ELK Lighting Opulence Chandelier Crystal - 17W in. - 4011/3CL
$328.00 | Hayneedle
Moonrays Path & Landscape Lights Outdoor Black Low-Voltage 1-Watt LED 3-Tier
$13.97 | Home Depot
Hammock: Tropical Palm Stripe Soft Comfort Hanging Hammock Chair
$83.99 | Hayneedle
Tiara New Heirloom Silver 17-Light Clear Spectra Crystal Semi-Flush Light, 30W x
Bellacor
Safavieh Area Rug: Austin Creme/Red 5.3' x 7.5'
Home Depot
Rust Veg Dyed Heriz Hand Knotted Wool 3' X 5' Serapi Antiqued Oriental Rug H5283
BH Sun Inc
Wassily Kandinsky 'The last judgment y' Oil on Canvas Art
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™