Viola crassa

rob_peace(VIC Aust)October 15, 2005

i was lucky enough to receive a small plant of viola crassa as a gift for giving a presentation to group of plant lovers. the plant was grown from seed from a japanese friend of the group back in 1983. the entire plant was still small, so it was a generous gift! i saw the grower/doner of my gift at a plant sale recently. she asked after my plant of v. crassa...apparently after cutting her plant to share with me, her piece had died! i am pleased to say my piece is doing well. i should be able to return a piece this season. this violet produces a reasonable amount of seed. several have tried it, as i have myself. the germination has been zero for me so far....but this year, there appear to be two small pairs of cotyledons in the pot! i hope they prove to be v. crassa and not invaders...with two clones, it might be possible to crosspollinate and achieve better germination.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
etii(France 8)

Beauty, as usual :-) Thanks for the pic, nice of you :-)

I didn't know that crosspollination made seeds having a better germination...could you tell us more about that ? :-)

All the best.
Thierry.

Bookmark   October 16, 2005 at 6:09PM
rob_peace(VIC Aust)

it's a guess, thierry. i know normal violets are self fertile. that's why i cant explain the poor germination on what looks like healthy, ripe seed. a bit of genetic variation 'might' help....perhaps the next clone will make better seed by itself? i'll keep you informed.
rob...

Bookmark   October 17, 2005 at 3:12AM
Mike Hardman(Cyprus, 100m altitude)

Nice looking plant Rob, and nice piccy :)

CoffieldÂs Nursery, in your neck of the woods, listed V. crassa in their Nov-94 catalogue. Was that your source? If not, maybe you could ask them, too, if they know a trick or two about germinating it?

It comes from Hokkaido, and Hironobu Hisashi tells me it grows in stony sites in the alpine zone. So I'd guess it needs a thorough winter chilling (or two?) to break dormancy.

Best of luck!

Bookmark   October 28, 2005 at 4:09PM
rob_peace(VIC Aust)

with the small size of the 'special plant' community in this country, i wouldnt be surprised if rene coffeild's violet came from the same source. we're very luck with the generousity of collectors and the few specialsit nurseries. i think coffields have retired again and finally closed. they're business BEGAN after years in a large general nursery in ballarat. they have a daughter who is a nuserywoman in the u.k. both the senior coffields are cursed with arthritis. i dont know how they kept going as long as they did.
update on the seedling...daily it looks more like a new plant of v. crassa! did you germinate any of the seed i gave you in last time we met? i guess you would have mentioned it! i'll save again carfully this year...

rob...

Bookmark   October 29, 2005 at 5:36PM
Mike Hardman(Cyprus, 100m altitude)

I haven't germinated that seed; but I have the other half of it in the fridge, which I plan to sow this winter... Thanks.

Bookmark   November 2, 2005 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
Viola ordata 'Czar' does anyone grow this species?
I ordered the seeds from Swallowtail, I have Winter...
ladyrose65
Saving pansy and viola seeds for next season
Hi all, I'm starting a lot of varieties of pansies...
CaraRose
stinky violets
Well, I *finally* managed to obtain a plant of Viola...
Ted - Maine - 5a
Viola x wittrockiana
Where does one get the Viola x wittrockiana in Sacramento,...
thorspippi
10th International Violet Meeting
Hi, We are organizing the 10th International Violet...
teofilobeja
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™