Violet Society Seeds (2000) update

shanachie1(z5NY)November 27, 2001

Jeff - if you are reading, wanted to let you know that I had brought the A & B packets of seeds to IES (Institute of Ecosystem Studies) Greenhouse where I volunteer. We had poor germination but have grown 9 plants. A few have lovely foliage but none of the flowers are that exciting . One has the oddest, nastiest scent(very reminiscent of body odor). Will try to photograph should you be interested?

Deborah Kral

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Editor_sweetviolets_com

Hello Shanachie,
How very nice hearing from you. I am stepping in for Jeff Parkes, who is out of the country on business matters. Yes! we would very much like to know about your experience with the Violet Society Seeds. The planned theme for the Spring 2002 Journal, will be something like, "The Blooming Report". We hope to have reports and photos of Violets in Bloom, from many areas. Perhaps you could consider writing an article for that up-coming issue. Other readers are encouraged to think about doing the same. Please contact me at: Editor@sweetviolets.com
With Thanks,
Jill Ann Williams

Bookmark   November 27, 2001 at 11:19AM
shanachie1(z5NY)

Jill - I am hardly an experienced enough gardener to write an article but am a photographer so will work on getting some acceptable shots! It was exciting to see germination & possible future IDs of what we have.

Deborah Kral

Here is a link that might be useful: IES Greenhouse information

Bookmark   November 29, 2001 at 6:15AM
lodrake

Here it is going on 04 and I just peeked in the door of Violet Society. I would like to grow Parma violets in Baja California Norte...about 37 miles South of San Diego, CA. Its very hot here but temp and shade can be controled. Nurseries don't have plants and I work for a seed company which doesn't handle them. Any ideas? Lois Drake

Bookmark   December 25, 2003 at 11:16AM
Mike Hardman(Cyprus, 100m altitude)

Lois,

Parma seeds are as rare as hen's teeth. You won't find them commercially anywhere (or if you do, be very suspicious - they're probably something else). Even if you do get some, they may not germinate. As far as I know, there is only one grower in the whole world alive today who has produced Parma seeds (and I was lucky and privileged enough to see and photograph one of them).

So your best bet for getting Parma violets is still to go for plants.

Bookmark   December 26, 2003 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Named violas - U.S. nursery
I came across a nursery in the U.S. tonight which sells...
marguerite_gw
Name of violet on violet forum
Can anyone tell me the name of the violet at the top...
karan_in_oregon
stinky violets
Well, I *finally* managed to obtain a plant of Viola...
Ted - Maine - 5a
violets inside?
Has anyone tried growing violets, especially viola...
merrybookwyrm
Viola banksii- Baby Blue
Still looking. An extraordinary soul sent seed, at...
bogturtle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™