Weed Id please

kamuiJanuary 31, 2007

I need some help to ID this weed on my rooftop and what can I use to get rid of them. I've tried pulling them but the stem would break off from the roots.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TonyfromOz(z10 NSW Aust)

It's a species of Wigandia, maybe Wigandia caracasana, and is possibly native in your part of Mexico. In some other countries it is regarded as an ornamental, though admittedly it is a rather untidy plant. I once grew one and it reached about 4 metres high in under 5 years.

I am not sure how you would kill it. Most woody plants can be controlled by curtting them off close to the ground and immediately pouring some concentrated glyphosate ('Roundup', etc) onto the cut stump. You may need to wait 2-4 weeks to see the effect.

Bookmark   February 20, 2007 at 6:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kamui

Thanks Tony, searched for wigandia and it seems to match this plants. Dunno how they invaded my rooftop since I don't have any on my garden. I guess some neighbor had one and it's seeds spread thru the neighborhood.

I bought some glyphosate and it works wonder on them. I sprayed the smaller ones with diluted glyphosate and they dry up and die within a week. As for the mature plants I did cut them and poured glyphosate, after a month it seems to have worked.

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 10:10PM
More Discussions
Clover/weed??
I have these growing in an area where we put out wildflower...
jscaldwell
How To Get Rid of Weeds Around Plants/Flowers?
OK, I'm sure this has been addressed over and over,...
Claire_from_Michigan
Yet another ID request
I am in Vancouver BC. This weed is very common and...
newcoyote
ID Invasive Vine Weed
Does anyone know the name of this weed? It's a vine...
debg
Ailanthus Advice?
I've cross-posted this from the Trees Forum, but am...
shaxhome
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™