My Planting Screwup?

behlgarden(9)June 5, 2012

I was so excited to plant in ground my little babies from pots that came from own seeds. then I come to realize a week later that I screwed up! I mixed Growing indeterminate and determinate , when I should have kept them apart in separate areas as determinate in middle of two indeterminate will get overtaken.

has anyone experienced this? I really dont want to pull them out now as they have doubled in size in 10 days.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I would say it depends how close together they're planted and how much direct sun they get.

For instance, if the row runs east-west and there's nothing tall planted to the south, I'd be happier about leaving them as they are.

But if you've got a block of plants 2-3' apart and there's a determinate with indeterminates to the south and west of it, that's another matter.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 5:10PM
behlgarden(9)

well my row of planter runs North south and I get full sun from sunrise to sunset. the row is actually perpendicular to sun's patch so my North South row is good I guess. I get yor point. I plante then 20 to 24" apart. I know its a bit too close but I did well last year and I wante to get few varities this season. Good thing is if I got it mixed, I got at least 2 or 3 of a kind next to each other so that would help somewhat from overtaking issue

thanks for replying

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 5:22PM
Bets(z6A S ID)

Every year I plan to put indeterminate tomatoes with other indeterminates, and the determinates all together and every year I wind up not doing it. I plant my tomatoes three feet apart and have run them in north-south rows and in east-west rows with six feet between rows and have never seen a problem that I could say was due to mining indeterminate and determinate tomatoes.

I suppose with closer plantings, it could be a problem, but I think if your garden has full sun, it won't make a difference.

Betsy

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Newbie at grafting tomatoes
I'm completely new to the procedure (also new to Tomatoes...
perlite
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Row Covers for Frost Protection on early tomatoes?
I'm in southeast Ohio and I'm wanting to plant tomatoes...
hockingapple
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™