to leave or pull?

pegleg48(6a Toronto)June 14, 2012

Hi

I started my tomatoes from seed this year, and am growing in containers. I transplanted a few into their permanent homes a few weeks ago and they are doing well, but a few of them sat around in small pots far too long, got very leggy, and started to rot along the bottom of the stems (white bubbly bits. Not very healthy, I know that much).

Last night, I planted the two best of the bunch in 18 gallon containers, but even planting the root ball at the bottom of the container, they are still tall and leggy and won't get as much support (container is at least 2ft deep). I have a few other smaller seedlings that are much healthier.

So, should I leave them in there, give them lots of food, and see how they do? Or just pull em, and replace with my healthier plants, even though they will produce much later.

Too bad the best looking one I accidentally snapped when trying to transplant! I stuck it deep in some dirt to see if that might keep it alive, but I expect to find it all wilty when I get home.

I could use the space for my eggplant instead...

Thanks

Peggy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Peggy, the "white bubbly bits" are most likely not rot but adventitious roots, and not a problem.

The tomato plant's normal reaction to high humidity (whether in the air in rainy weather or along the ground) is to produce roots.

Here's a thread with more info and a photo of some unusually long adventitious roots:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0623230816529.html?3

Even if the broken stem is wilty when you get home, give it a bit of shade, keep it watered, and in a week or so it will look like a brand new plant (which it will be).

Bookmark   June 14, 2012 at 8:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pegleg48(6a Toronto)

Well, I decided to sacrifice them instead, mostly to give space to more eggplant.
But thanks for the advice. It has been humid in the house. I might give a few seedling to a friend, and I'll just tell her to bury it deep and let it do its thing.
I have several smaller seedling that I might plant a little later so when the bigger ones give out (containers might be a bit constricting) I'll have replacements.

Thanks
Peggy

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
How Is The Weather ..1- 2015
Spring has arrived early here. The temperatures are...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
What is wrong with this leaf?
This Pink Brandywine has one bottom leaf that is dry...
dragon49
Pruning lower tomato branches
When the seedlings are established - we prune the lower...
hudson___wy
The Color Of Tomato
Do you remember the movie called The Color Of Money...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Sponsored Products
European Design Lead Free Pull Out Sprayer Kitchen Faucet Polished Chrome Finish
eModern Decor
Fulton Table Lamp in Winter White with Geo Blue Shade
Lamps Plus
Havard Solid Bronze Cabinet Pull
Signature Hardware
Tibetan Leaves Rug 3' x 5' - IVORY
$1,259.00 | Horchow
Roman Empire Polished Gold 10-Light Clear Spectra Crystal Flush Mount Light, 21W
Bellacor
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Carahue Tea Leaves 5 ft.
Home Depot
Coral Coast Grand Daddy Oversized Adirondack Chair with Pull out Ottoman - Dark
$139.98 | Hayneedle
INSPIRE Q Huntington Trestle Baluster Extending Dining Table
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™