Seed pod questions

minibot(z9bNorCA Sz16)December 9, 2005

Howdy! You all did warn me that there'd be many seeds coming, and upon inspection today I did find one seed pod. I'm planning on planting this viola (odorata I think...Barrone Alice de Rothschild) in a deep and wide planter. Should I do this soon, like emergency soon, or is there another way to collect seeds and give them a fighting chance? This is my first attempt at violas, I've never even grown a pansy in my life! (although they seem to do well this time of year over where I work which is 28 miles away) I'm pretty excited, cautious, but excited about having more great smelling flowers! These puppies smell so nice and I can smell them on a still day when I'm watering miniature roses that are about five feet away. So far so good with keeping it in its original pot...

minibot(anist)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
etii(France 8)

Hi !

Well, with your viola odorata Baronne Alice de Rothschild, you won't have many seeds coming. That girl is a bit lazy and she's also making empty pods (sometimes you only have 1 or 2 seeds in a kind of dead pod - beware of that). Some plants have strange manners and this one seems to be abortionist ;-) BUT...the few seeds you can get are easy to germinate like every odorata :-)
Normally, a cold period should be needed for odorata's seeds to germinate...just wonder odorata behaviour in such a hot place like California...maybe someone is having a good experience concerning that: is a short time in the fridge helpful ?
Let's forget pansy: just an under species of viola ;-p Such a yukky gross flower lol

All the best :-)
Thierry.

Bookmark   December 9, 2005 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Dividing Parma violets
I have two lovely Parmas... Duchesse de Parme and Comte...
scott_madison
Growing Parma Violets
Does anyone have helpful hints for growing Parma Violets...
helenaviolet
Mystery Violet (true Viola species)
Any assistance with the identification of a mystery...
rufino
whats wrong with my perrnial violet
I bought a perrnial violet at Wal-Mart it has flowers...
michael1846
Viola x wittrockiana
Where does one get the Viola x wittrockiana in Sacramento,...
thorspippi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™