Feeding tomatoes

sunshine9June 30, 2013

I am new to growing a moderate sized garden of tomatoes that I started from seed. In MA, we have gotten a lot of water so I have not been watering them and they seem to finally be happy! But I have not added any fertilzing product for them. They have been in the ground a month.
What should I look for in a fertilizer/feeding product? And how often should I be doing this?
My tomatoes have flowers and one is starting a tomato.
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Lots of 'fertilizer' discussions here you can browse through for many opinions.

What to use is really your choice as long as it is well balanced without excessive nitrogen and provides micro-nutrients as well as N-P-K. There are many good products available both synthetic and organic.

How much of it to use, how soon, and how often all depends your soil condition and nutrient levels. If the bed was well prepped and amended before planting, drains well, has good tilth with a good level of organic matter included then the need for supplements may be minimal.

If not then regular supplemental feedings will be required. A very general guideline is after first fruitset and then approx. every 6 weeks throughout the season. But that can easily be too little or way too much depending on your soil.

Bottom line, just as with watering there is no "one size fits all" approach to feeding tomatoes.

Dave

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 7:11PM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

My garden soil is a nice loam which has been improved by compost layering. I add compost and Plant Tone (or Garden Tone or Rose Tone) at planting time. I add more Plant Tone about every 6 weeks during the season. My plants are large and have set many fruits.

I think most experienced gardeners will encourage you to focus on improving your soil over time vs. the quick fix provided by a bucket full of Miracle Grow.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 9:05PM
bgthumb(5A)

sunshine9 i'm in the same boat.I'm getting a soil test kit.From what I read,tomatoes don't like much Nitrogen,first # youll see on NPK fertilizer products.
I'm thinking about buying some sufate of potash(0-0-51) or K-Mag (Langbeinite)-(0-0-22) & fish bone meal(4-22-0).Not saying hey you should get this too,just saying i might try it out.

Never ordered from this site but looks like they have a good amount of options & prices don't look bad.I'm sure the S&H will be high though if you buy enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: soilminerals.com

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 9:57PM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

Keep it simple ,get some Miracle Grow for tomatoes ,mix as directed , feed plants, there done ,don't need fancy .

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 4:23AM
More Discussions
Solo Cups vs Ribbed Pots
Cost factor is in favor of the cups, especially if...
hoosier40 6a Southern IN
Rabbit Manure for Tomatoes
Hi- There's a guy locally that is selling rabbit manure...
DrMario
Pruning lower tomato branches
When the seedlings are established - we prune the lower...
hudson___wy
Can a Cold Frame help Tomato plants get an early start?
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=438829066275054&set=vb.415805398577421&type=2&theater...
Randy L. Birth Sr.
Quick Start
I sowed 6 tomato varieties yesterday in frozen garden...
goodground
Sponsored Products
Cocktail Toolbox
$36.99 | Dot & Bo
Creative Home Marble Arched Scalloped Pet Dish - 32684
$25.99 | Hayneedle
Freestanding Tub Water Feeds with Shutoff Valves
Signature Hardware
Cherry Tomato Narrow Zig Zag Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Tomatoes Jardin Dish Towel - Set of Two
$12.99 | zulily