Wild Briar Removal Help

carota18February 28, 2014

I am thrilled I finally identified this plant that has been torturing me. I have typed every description that I could think of into the search engine since October and was never able to find anything that looked remotely like it, but now I am 99.9% sure that it is wild briar. I basically moved into weed infested land and concentrated on other areas of the property first, but my main goal for this winter was to figure out what it is so I can wage war against it in the spring. Does anyone have any tips on getting rid of this? I like to avoid any kind of chemicals as much as possible. I'd much rather work 100 hours than spray anything, but am not all out opposed if that is the only option. Open to any suggestions. Thanks a lot for any help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Start digging and don't stop until you're done.
Then watch for re-sprouts (from missed roots) and remove promptly.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 12:00AM
carota18

This photo is exactly what I'm talking about" the site I saw it on said it is wild briar, so that's where I got the name, which I'm not exactly sure on, but this is definitely the red thorny stem I have

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 1:47AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Management without chemicals means that you must dig & repeat as needed.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 12:56PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Wild briar is a generic description of a number of wild vine and thorny plants. There are a couple of methods of control depending on how quickly you want that. Mowing the area repeatedly, a slow and long term method, will eventually cause this plant to die out, probably.
Or digging, as Jean suggested, could be a quicker method. Another method could involve smothering. cutting the plants down pretty short, covering with a light impervious material (cardboard, newspaper, etc.) and covering that with something to hold it in place such as wood chips or shredded leaves, or what ever else might be handy and free.

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 7:18AM
carota18

Thanks so much for the help:) So I guess I don't know exactly what it is...

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 12:12AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

If you post a picture in the Name That Plant Forum, especially if you can get one with leaves, someone can id it for you. Could be a raspberry, blackberry, rose or several other thorny vines, as kimmsr said.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Parsley-looking weed?
I planted a bunch of herb seeds in my tiny urban backyard...
Hilary224
opiopogon japonicus aka mondo grass
while not a weed, it can be an annoyance in the wrong...
bossyvossy
Fixed nitrogen in the soil
Is nitrogen fixed in the soil good or bad?
Gary Cotterill
Black Medic (Medicago lupulina)
Black medic was growing rampant in my garden. I used...
Gary Cotterill
Bark mulch size
In my shrub garden, will large or small bark chunks...
gcotterl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™