Help my squirrels?

geckoamSeptember 15, 2007

I have some hawks (either cooper or red tailed - GORGEOUS!) that have been hanging around my yard, not for the birds but for the almost adult squirrels that hang out in a thick tree w/ mom. The other day mom was down with me and she was eating nuts, next thing I heard was a baby screaming in the tree and mom took off like a shot. I could not tell if he got him, but He has been hanging around the squirrel tree. It's very thick and I don't know how the hawk can even fit through all the leaves?

I am VERY attached to my squirrels, I don't know the babies, but most of the adults have been around minimum 2 years. How can I lure the hawk away from the squirrels?? Why would he not go for the easy prey - all the birds? Even with the feeders up, he was still going for the squirrels.

I think the hawk is BEAUTIFUL. I have once stood 5 feet away from it perched on the birdfeeder post. And OHHH if only I had my camera! It was a sight! I would LOVE a shot of him. But that's a different subject. I just wanted you to know that I do like the hawk, I'm just wondering why he is going for my squirrels and not the birds.

I have read all the posts in your group re: keeping a hawk away, and all have said there is not much that one can do really to keep a hawk away. Is there anything I can do to switch his attention? Or any new advice on how to keep him away?

I'd appreciate any help or advice? You know more about hawks than I do.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loris(Z6 NJ)

geckoam,

I don't have an answer, but think you're more likely to get answers if you post this on either the Wildlife discussions forum, or the Bird Watching Forum.

Lori

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
Juncos Eating Ironweed Seed
There are a half dozen or so Juncos eating the Tall...
kelp
Mouse, Vole or Shrew in Garage
Hi, I caught a couple of deer mouse a couple weeks...
GardenFan9595
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
Deer mouse question
Twice this winter my cat has caught what I believe...
sparky_10
Squirrels are stealing my river rock
Over the past two weeks I have observed the squirrels...
Brian.evans
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™