Question about Pre-emergents

ritaweedaMarch 13, 2014

Since I have a bad back, getting down to pick weeds in the garden beds is getting to be almost impossible. I started using Preen last year to see how effective it is, and although it has to be reapplied eventually, it seems to do the job very well. My question is, does anyone know exactly how this works? I know it prevents the seeds from germinating, but does it actually kill the seed forever or does the chemical wear off and then allows the seed to germinate eventually? I'm just wondering why it has to be re-applied in another 2 or 3 months. The downside of it is that I have always sown annual flower seeds in the beds but now I won't be able to do that. I'm going to try to start them in pots and plant them, I'm wondering if the Preen will keep them from thriving?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The active ingredient, "TRIFLUORO-2,6-DINITRO-N N-DIPROPYL-P-TOLUIDINE", prevents germinating seeds from continuing to grow, that is any seed not just those unwanted seeds we call "weeds". When applied per label instructions it should have no affect on growing plants. Depending on several factors this product needs to be reapplied every 9 to 12 weeks during the growing season because it breaks down, or is broken down, in soil.

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 7:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Seeds will germinate, then fail to grow any further, so that seed is gone forever.

It won't affect well-started transplants.

Have you tried using a hula hoe when the weeds are tiny? You can stand up and kill them.

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 7:49AM
More Discussions
Ever hear of a weed called common bright-eye?
Did a google search, can't find a pic. Any idea what...
fireweed22
What is this in my garden?
I recently removed a plant from my garden and underneath...
Mustard06
Bark mulch size
In my shrub garden, will large or small bark chunks...
gcotterl
Black Medic (Medicago lupulina)
Black medic was growing rampant in my garden. I used...
Gary
Yet another ID request
I am in Vancouver BC. This weed is very common and...
newcoyote
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™