Bermuda nightmare:(

itzybitzy_gw(7NC)March 27, 2012

OK..I have a bed/island,about 1+foot tall over groud level with rich loamy well drained soil that got "infected" with this horrible weed called bermuda "grass"I don't want to apply herbicide because it has a couple of trees(one of them is a jap.maple),couple of artichokes,daylilly ,daffodils and alliums bulbs and don't want to harm them?last season I just kept on pulling and pulling until my back hurt,now it just starting to "wake up":( wondering if there is any other solution besides the pulling method to get rid of it,I have read several posts of how to get rid of it when is in the lawn...any ideas welcome!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)

There are grass herbicides that should work and won't hurt the plants you mention if they get accidental exposure, but it may take several applications over time. I think Ortho Grass-B-Gone is one. Otherwise, can you put down plastic or cardboard or landscaping fabric, leaving only the plants you want to keep uncovered, and cover with an attractive mulch. You will then have to hand weed close to the plants, but the solid mulch will keep the bermuda from showing up elsewhere.

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 2:41AM
itzybitzy_gw(7NC)

Great! I like the cardboar idea,I guess it needs to be wet to make it work...Thank you beeone I apreciate the help:)

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 8:09PM
wynswrld98(z7 WA)

Is it only recently in the planter (e.g., over last year)? or do you know how long it has been there. Roots of bermuda grass can go 1-2 feet deep if established. I did a war with bermuda grass including moving a foot of soil, several rounds of Round Up, thought I won and it came back. This seems to be the experience of many who try and fight it, it is very nasty stuff and IMO shouldn't be legal to sell.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 12:08AM
itzybitzy_gw(7NC)

wynswr1d98:D It was there last year just not as much now is invading the whole bed...

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 12:57PM
More Discussions
What is the name of this ugly ivy growing in my yard???!!!?
Its almost all over my lawn well in the bk yard its...
ashleyq2222
Use of Preen in March for April planting - zone 5a
Good Morning! I have to clean a weedy area to prepare...
sistereinstein (Z5a WI)
What kind of weed am I?
This has completely taken over our verge in Salt Lake...
zhoen
thistle help
For the last few years i have been battling thistles...
violet14
Neglected Yard
I moved into a house last winter and the yard seems...
reemlarki
Sponsored Products
Bermuda Tortoise 4" x 6" Frame
$98.00 | Horchow
Bermuda Night Stand Espresso Finish
Overstock.com
Floor Standing Chromed Brass and Steel Two Rail Towel Stand
TheBathOutlet
Nesta Rug
Design Within Reach
Uttermost Bermuda 5 X 8 Rug - Wheat
Beyond Stores