Corn Gluten Meal

edsgoneorganicApril 29, 2014

Hello, I'm new to the organic fertilization process and I am in need of fertilizer. I have read that Corn Gluten Meal is a great source for Nitrogen, however, is there anywhere I can get it? I live in North Fort Worth and will only need 40 pounds for my first application.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andbowen(7b/8a DFW TX)

Is this for a lawn, flower bed, or veggie garden? A lot of feed stores and independent nurseries carry it. Just keep in mind that it does inhibit seed germination, so it's not a good choice for gardens where you plan to direct sow. Dried molasses is another good option.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 11:49PM
Slimy_Okra(2b)

It's rather expensive for use as a fertilizer. Other seed meals will give you better bang for your buck, without the germination-inhibiting effects.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 11:51PM
PKponder TX(7b)

I use alfalfa pellets for organic nitrogen. $12 for 50 pounds at the feed store.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 8:13AM
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

We've been using the Nature's Guide prepackaged stuff the past couple years now that it's being sold at several stores and nurseries in our area. Their "alfalfa based" Premium Turf Food has an N-P-K of 6-1-4 and looks pretty much like the feed store pellets The bags are a lot more expensive on a percentage basis than bulk, but only $10 to $20 more out of the annual yard budget for the small amount we use... a wash once the distance we now have to drive to a "real" feed store is factored in.

We also use their corn gluten meal on the lawn for a late winter pre-emergent/feeding combo, but go with the much less costly options at other times when there would be little weed control benefit. Calloways Nursery recently had the 40 lb bags priced right at $40. :-(

Here is a link that might be useful: Natures Guide product fact sheets

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
Favorite plants?
As a relatively new Texas gardener, I'm curious: what's...
intxfromoregon
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Big orange tree in fruit ...
I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™