Best Petrochemical for Controlled Brush Burn

roserx(8)March 7, 2009

I have a creeping fig vine along a wall that I have almost killed with a pesticide cocktail, but the raised roots are still a problem. Would kerosine or lighter fluid be the best incendiary product that would not contaminate the soil, when I am ready to plant something else there?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

There is no petroleum product that would not contaminate your soil. The best way to get those roots out of there is to dig them out, a process that will also give you a chance to take a good look at the soil and see what might need to be done to make it into a better soil.

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 7:16AM
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

I must agree with kimmsr that there is no flamable petrochemical product that won't wreck your soil for years. For a controlled burn, try methanol (wood alcohol) - it either burns or evaporates completely from the soil. Any microbial or micorhizae damage is temprorary. STAND BACK or use a long stick with a wick when you light it! It burns very hot. Digging is good, but be sure to get every root.
Hortster

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 4:34PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Since burning yard waste produces more air pollutants than does a coal fired power plant there is no good reason to burn any kind of yard waste, ever.

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 8:23AM
More Discussions
What is Virginia Creeper?
I have lots of some kind of weed that seems to come...
barb_roselover_in
Lawn Weed
Hi Guys, I live in Central Coastal Queensland and I...
Artesian
Clover/weed??
I have these growing in an area where we put out wildflower...
jscaldwell
The battle against Bermuda
Tilled a new spot back in late summer. In my past experiences...
jon2412
Parsley-looking weed?
I planted a bunch of herb seeds in my tiny urban backyard...
Hilary224
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™