Droppings ID

stimpy926January 30, 2006

Hi there, this is a pic of my table bird feeder screen. I know i have night visits from skunk, possum, possibly others... anyone recognize what animal this comes from. At least I'm pretty sure it's from a night-time visitor ~ it's the thingies that look like straw bundles...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elly_NJ(NJ z6)

Well, I'm guessing raccoon or possum, because they are good climbers and it's too big for flying squirrels.

Consider not leaving any food overnight in your feeder. In particular, you don't want to in any way handle raccoon feces or have raccoon feces contaminate what the birds eat.

Here is a link that might be useful: raccoon roundworm (Baylisascaris procyonis)

Bookmark   January 30, 2006 at 9:46PM
htown(North Houston)

That is kind of scarey. The article said the two kids got it from chewing on firewood. It seems that if they had a pet raccoon there would be infinite other ways for them to get it before being infected by chewing on contaminated firewood. I grow herbs in my yard that I eat all the time, and it is sort of frightening to think that my food could possibly be out there amidst millions of deadly parasitic worms. Does anyone know of any studies done on the racoons in Southeast Texas?

Bookmark   January 31, 2006 at 12:13PM
htown(North Houston)

Well, I did alot of reading on this subject, and have been impressed upon that it might be a decent idea to stop feeding the racoons, or putting out table scraps. It just seems like such a waste to throw away food that could be eaten by a hungry critter. Especially in winter when there is less to eat. Maybe I could take it farther out away from the gardens and stuff. I have always eaten stuff out in the garden without washing it, but this may have put an end to that. All it would take would be to eat something that the rain had splased an egg on to.

Bookmark   January 31, 2006 at 3:18PM
catherinet(5 IN)

I quit feeding the wild birds when I got chickens, because they were under my feeders every night, and I didn't want to attract them to the chickens. I haven't seen one since. They are noxious creatures who will get into everything around the outside of your house. My bird feeders used to be inaccessible to the coons, but they'd come every night to pick up the dropped seed. Then they'd climb my trees and get into fights and damage the trees. They get into the trash, and the dogs water dish, and my water garden and leave poop all over the place.

htown, I would highly recommend that you take your scraps FAR away from where you want the coons.

Bookmark   February 1, 2006 at 11:21AM
Elly_NJ(NJ z6)

htown, it's nice of you to offer them your scraps, but they don't need it. Raccoons are very opportunistic and successful.

Bookmark   February 1, 2006 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
Squirrel proof tube bird feeder
Need a recommendation for a good Squirrel-proof tube...
shw104
Mouse, Vole or Shrew in Garage
Hi, I caught a couple of deer mouse a couple weeks...
GardenFan9595
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
Dramatic change in birdfeeder activity: Why?
About a week ago I put out a suet cake that seemed...
actionclaw
shrews in my house
Hi everyone! I'm new to the gardenweb. I have a question...
NJdragonfly
Sponsored Products
Portable Dry Misting Outdoor Fan
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Infinity Five-Light Chandelier -Brushed Nickel
$283.10 | Bellacor
Alvin PRESTIGE Elegance Heavy-Duty Art Portfolios Multicolor - CHP43224
$83.64 | Hayneedle
Solid Bronze Drop Bale Pull
Signature Hardware
Circolo Semi-Flushmount by Kichler
$250.80 | Lumens