Please help! Weed taking over my yard!

jjeffreyMarch 31, 2013

Hi there,
I am desperately looking for some advice. We have a large yard, and last year a small patch of the attached weed appeared. As of now, at least a third of our yard is covered! I am hoping someone can let me know:
1 - What this is called
2 - How to best get rid of it, while complying with Ontario's pesticide-free laws
3 - Whether it would be best to just cut up a big chunk of my lawn and re-sod or try killing this and then re-seeding.
Many warm thanks to whoever can help!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

One of the henbits; Lamium purpureum or L. amplexicaule. Pretty purple blooms but once you see the purple color you are sure to see it again next year. These are winter annuals that need to be controlled first in the fall and then again in the late winter (chemically, which you can't). Looks like some control has already been applied by maybe extreme winter cold or severe drought??? (scorch on leaves) but not sure. Doesn't seem to do well competing with healthy turf, so overseeding in fall and thickening the turf may be a help.
hortster

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 9:06PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Henbit can be controlled without chemicals. Not necessarily rapidly, but eventually.

It's an annual.
So the key to success is to avoid the plants setting seed by removing them. Now.

Handpulling henbit will work because the roots aren't that extensive. The younger the plants, the easier they will be to remove. The youngest seedlings can be hoed, raked into a pile, then removed from the area.

Unfortunately, you'll need to be persistent for an extended time due to the many seeds hanging out in the soil.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 12:51AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Henbits are considered winter annuals, they generally germinate in the fall as grasses go dormant, although a few seeds may germinate in early spring. They do die off in the hot, dry summer weather, prefering to grow in cool moist, rich soils, although they will also do quite well in sandy soils (as I know well). Shallow rooted so easly hand pulled, although tedious if there are many.
Perhaps this link will be of some help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Henbits

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 7:58AM
jjeffrey

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help in IDing my pesky weed...darn those henbits! Given the fact that they are covering about 1,000 square feet at this point along with me being seven-months-pregnant the thought of all that handweeding isn't all that appealing, so I think I'll just remove that sod/weed patch entirely and resod.
Thanks again!
Jen

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 6:45PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Henbit can be brought under control with the well-timed application of preemergent herbicides. These chemicals are applied before you see any henbit in your lawn....in the late fall, usually. They prevent the millions of seeds from germinating.

Removing your grass and resodding won't help. The problem is the seeds. Call your local extension office for a good schedule of preemergent timing.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 6:02AM
More Discussions
Please help identify these vines
These are young examples of these vines that can grow...
jmccown0999
Weed and feed help
I put bonus S weed and feed down a week or so ago and...
volcomstone4u
Chemical Free Weed Control? - Wild Violet, Plantain, Wild Strawb
Hello! What chemical free ways are available to rid...
nice_girl
Weed Identification Kern River Valley, CA
Hoping some folks might be able (willing) to help me...
nexev - Zone 8b
Sponsored Products
Prelude Fawn Pillow with Border
$150.00 | FRONTGATE
"Antique French" Floor Mirror
$594.90 | Horchow
Cole & Co. Custom Collection 25" Clarissa Petite Modern Vanity
Modern Bathroom
Ava Rug 6' x 9' - SAGE
$4,349.00 | Horchow
ELK Lighting Rosavita Chandelier 4054/5 - 18W in. - 4054/5
$328.00 | Hayneedle
Foscarini | Diesel Collection Mysterio Round Multipoint Pendant
YLighting
Americh Turo 6032 Left Handed Tub (60" x 32" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Bruck | Zara Down Pendant Light
$195.75 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™