Holly, red bud and such.

larrylwill(7)March 26, 2013

We bought a house that the previous owners planted red bud, holly, juniper and other bushes around the house. Year after year we trimmed them to size, now they have trunks as big as my arm or leg. If left alone they would grow 10ft high. I want them gone. I tried to pull them out when the ground was saturated and kept breaking the cable or the car wheels would slip. So I cut them all off at the base with a chain saw but the red bids are spreading like weeds, little clumps of them. How can I kill these bushes for good. We want to plant some small colorful bushes in front of the house. So I have to dig the roots up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

Comment on the redbuds and junipers:
The junipers should be dead if you cut them off at the ground. Probably want to remove the stumps by digging - they are usually shallow rooted (but sometimes tenaciously!).
As for the redbuds, I had some two year seedlings of C. reniformis (Oklahoma redbud) that were in the perennial garden and I decided that I didn't need more than the original plant in my yard, so I cut them off at the ground. I did so for a season and a half but they continued to return. Finally, after that long attempt, in the FALL nearing dormancy but still with green foliage I once again cut off the 6" suckers and this time,using a small artists' paint brush, lightly dapped them with a mixture of 50% 3-way broadleaf weed killer and 50% glysophate. Minimal chemical application with terminus of problem. Timing, I believe, was key.
hortster

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
Black Medic (Medicago lupulina)
Black medic was growing rampant in my garden. I used...
Gary
Weed Identification Kern River Valley, CA
Hoping some folks might be able (willing) to help me...
nexev - Zone 8b
Use of Preen in March for April planting - zone 5a
Good Morning! I have to clean a weedy area to prepare...
sistereinstein (Z5a WI)
Can you help me identify this weed?
It is growing in Atlanta, Georgia.
tigger033
Sponsored Products
Red & Natural Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$44.99 | zulily
New Exclusive Hand Knotted Rug 7'x10' Ivory Bordered Kazak Mesa Collection H3397
BH Sun Inc
Metallic Christmas Collar
$25.50 | FRONTGATE
Poinsettia Design Table Topper or Table Runner
Overstock.com
Franklin Bench - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Bolla Bronze Two-Light Bath Fixture with Garnet Glass
$279.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™