newbie question: hoeing

lalalaApril 3, 2009

This seems so basic, but I'll ask anyway. I put down a nice layer of fine bark mulch around the shrubs and perennials in my garden in the fall. Now I'm getting the beginnings of weeds springing up, including hundreds of tiny maple shoots. I have read that the easiest non-chemical way to get rid of weeds is to hoe them up while they're still tender in early spring. So: do I rake the mulch aside or can I hoe right through it? I don't want to mix the mulch into the soil and ruin its purpose. But I also don't want to give myself unnecessary labor.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Slide the hoe under the mulch and pull toward you just skim the surface of the soil. With practice the mulch will separated with the hoes passage and then can be straighted.

Most people use the hoe as a chopping instrument but it is really supposed to be used to cut the plants off at or just below the surface. Cutting at that depth will not stir up as many old seeds as cutting deeper.

It may be easier to just pull the shoots after a rainy day. Sit on a piece of cardboard and start pulling.

I let my oak seedling so too long so now I have a mess.

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 10:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lalala

Thanks! That's very helpful. I will probably do a mix of pulling and hoeing.

The maple really seemed to go crazy this year--I can't believe how many shoots there are, all through the lawn and gardens!

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 2:05PM
More Discussions
Use of Preen in March for April planting - zone 5a
Good Morning! I have to clean a weedy area to prepare...
sistereinstein (Z5a WI)
What is the name of this ugly ivy growing in my yard???!!!?
Its almost all over my lawn well in the bk yard its...
ashleyq2222
Idea for homemade herbicide: think it'll work?
So I have been brewing kombucha at home. A bunch of...
irjowo99
Fixed nitrogen in the soil
Is nitrogen fixed in the soil good or bad?
Gary
Weed Identification Kern River Valley, CA
Hoping some folks might be able (willing) to help me...
nexev - Zone 8b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™