Will weed killer get rid of weed trees?

chicagocanine(zone 5, Chicago)April 3, 2006

I just had a quick question...

Will weed killer (ortho) kill "weed trees" (small trees which sprout in unwanted places like on a fence line) if sprayed on a freshly cut stump?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garden_obsessed(5)

chicagocanine,
Your best bet would be to call Ortho directly to ask, be sure to specify what kinds of weed trees you're talking about. I know from experience that if you are trying to kill buckthorn weed trees, which are found in your area, it is very difficult and I'm not sure if this would do it. There are also other suckering trees that can be a problem.

You also may need to paint it the stumps using one of those cheap disposable painting sponges rather than spraying it on. For me, I've had better coverage/control this way. You also may possibly need to drill some holes in the stumps and just pour a little in to sit there. For stumps a stump killer may work better. These are all suggestions I received from Ortho for various situations. Again, I think it all depends on what weed trees you are trying to kill. I'm in a similar situation, good luck!
G.

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 12:30PM
chicagocanine(zone 5, Chicago)

Thanks! I have no idea what kind of trees they are :P
They are very small and skinny so it's hard to identify them... I was searching before for a stump killer but could not find any, even after asking the clerks at a couple stores they had no heard of it! All they had was something you spray on to protect a stump, nothing to kill it.

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 10:11PM
maifleur01

Ask for brush killer not stump killer. Follow directions.

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
Poor Man's Weed Barrier
I need to block weeds and grass from popping up from...
jeff_leites
Idea for homemade herbicide: think it'll work?
So I have been brewing kombucha at home. A bunch of...
irjowo99
Preventing weeds
When planting bareroot roses, the instructions say...
gcotterl
ID Invasive Vine Weed
Does anyone know the name of this weed? It's a vine...
debg
Weed Identification (Florida)
Good afternoon, I have a problem with a weed (type...
BoogieMan2718
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™