Bird feeding and squirrels, is this true?

lucillleFebruary 27, 2013

I'm not sure if this is true but I saw where birds are immune to capsaicin, the substance that makes hot peppers hot. I have a bunch of cayenne pepper, can I sprinkle it in the birdseed before putting the seed in the feeders to help the squirrels learn to go elsewhere?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucillle

Also I saw something on Ebay called the Absolute II squirrel proof bird feeder, is it hype or true?

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 7:45AM
lisa11310(z5 MI)

"Squirrel proof" usually means the Squirrels can't eat the feeder! LOL There is no such thing as "Squirrel proof" however there are lots of good "squirrel discouraging " feeders. Give a Squirrel enough time they will eventually figure it out. If there is plenty of food that is easier to obtain they will leave the feeder alone.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 1:21PM
Nunyabiz1(7)

actually there is a Squirrel proof feeder.
It is called the "Squirrel Buster Plus", we have had ours for a bit over a year and a constant barrage of squirrel after squirrel has never gotten a single seed from it.

The only seed squirrels get are what the birds spread onto the ground from the feeder.

I did have to add a longer pole to keep he feeder out further but not for the squirrels, was because of a Raccoon which is large enough to hang onto the upright pole and reach over and grab the feeder.
The "Flaming Squirrel sauce" which is Habanero oil thwarted him for a a bit but we had our bird bath right there and what he did was pull the feeder over and then dump the seeds in the water, wash them, then eat them.

So the longer pole stopped that.

But squirrels have zero chance.

Here is another post showing the longer pole and feeder setup.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wildlife/msg0522232812126.html?19

Here is a link that might be useful: Squirrel Buster Plus

This post was edited by Nunyabiz1 on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 13:16

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 1:10PM
wibadgersguy

Get a squirrel baffle, checkout www.squirrelbafflestore.com

Thats where I have gotten all mine and that solves the squirrel issue all together.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:42PM
edlincoln(6A)

Yes, that is true. Some think it is why the plants evolved capsaicin...to discourage rodents from eating their fruit while not discouraging birds. (Birds fly and spread seed more farther).

The catch is that hungry squirrels can develop a tolerance to capsaicin over time and come to like it, the way some humans do.

It's still worth a try.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
I found a praying mantis cocoon, where can I place it?
I was pulling up weeds and there was a praying mantis...
ladyrose65
lizard jumped in my window running from hawk help
A huge 10 inch lizard jumped in my window to escape...
Wild Haired Mavens
Mouse, Vole or Shrew in Garage
Hi, I caught a couple of deer mouse a couple weeks...
GardenFan9595
first post - bird food that sparrows dont eat?
Hi, This is my 1st post here! Can you guys recommend...
kris2001
Juncos Eating Ironweed Seed
There are a half dozen or so Juncos eating the Tall...
kelp
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™