killing weeds with newspaper

just_asking(z7 NC)April 28, 2006

last fall I planted several bushes in a natural area and then put down about 3" of triple-shredded hardwood mulch.

Today there are so many weeds in that area, I can barely see the bushes. I can't pull that many weeds.....it would take forever not mention my back can't take that any more.

I was thinking of removing the mulch, putting down a few layers of newspaper and then putting new mulch back down.

As the newspaper breaks down, will it hurt the bushes? I wouldn't thinks so, but I wanted to make sure.

Also, are different mulches better than others to help prevent weeds? Obviously I will get weeds, but I want as little as possible:-)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anitamo(5)

Yes, do what you said regarding the newspaper. In areas where I did it that way are my most weed free beds. Make sure to keep the paper wet before covering it back up with the wood mulch. Wetting keeps it in place better and begins the decomposition faster.

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 12:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Use SEVERAL layers of newspapers, not just a few. This technique can be very useful. I know of no mulch that will prevent weed seed germination, if that is what you are asking.

What are the weeds that you seem to be bothered with, mostly?

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
Unidentified Giant 16' Weed/Tree that looks a bit like a pappaya
Back in January I saw a little 2 inches shoot coming...
alexcortez
What is Virginia Creeper?
I have lots of some kind of weed that seems to come...
barb_roselover_in
what is this weed seed?
Found these seeds in a package of red lentils grown...
Okanagan
So I've hoed hound now what?
So it's that time of year I have started to notice...
mushibu10
Clover/weed??
I have these growing in an area where we put out wildflower...
jscaldwell
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™