ANTS! Living under my tomatoes?

gardenprincess2010June 18, 2010

Ok, so I went and watered my plants this morning, and after I did thousands and thousands of ants started coming up from under them. They were swarming the base of the plant and then climbing up the plant, all over the leaves, and also the cage.

The ants had, what looked like little white dots they were carrying with them. Many of the ants parked their stupid little bodies on my leaves and just hung out there.

Does anyone know why they would build a nest under my plants?

How I can get rid of them?

Are they gonna do major damage?

Also, something I thought was weird, I always find dead ants on my plants and leaves. Not a lot, just a few here and there. My mom said she thought that was because tomatoes are part of the NightShade family. And that at some stages those plants can be very poisonous.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaelkriver

Hi!

I'm bumping, as I have the same question. Any advice out there?

Thanks much!

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 7:53AM
robeb_gw

Could be this:

Here is a link that might be useful: ants farming aphids

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 11:17AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Does anyone know why they would build a nest under my plants? How I can get rid of them? Are they gonna do major damage?

Nest may have already been there deep in the soil and the disturbance of planting and such just brought them up to the soil surface. Or they could have moved in later due to the shade and cooler soil. Who can say as ants for the most part are normal to gardens and except fire ants, pose no threat in the garden in any way.

But since they were carrying the larvae as they left they have obviously moved on. Wet the soil well and they move.

Lots of discussions on ants in the garden that the search will pull up for you.

Dave

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 11:27AM
oletraveler

I use cornmeal to get rid of ants. Supposedly, when ants eat the corn mean and then drink water, it kills them. If all goes well, the queen will eat the cornmeal and the colony will die. It takes time and persistence, but it does work.

The hard part is that once the cornmeal gets wet, it is useless and you will need to put down more cornmeal. So you'd have to spread the cornmeal on the days you don't water.

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 2:05PM
kaelkriver

Thanks for the link and suggestions. I'll give them a try.

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 7:44AM
More Discussions
Row Covers for Frost Protection on early tomatoes?
I'm in southeast Ohio and I'm wanting to plant tomatoes...
hockingapple
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
Southern Belle Tomato
I am searching for history on the Southerne Belle tomato....
AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™