Pruning Jimsonweed

saminsaneApril 4, 2008

My Datura Stamonium is in desperate need of pruning attention but I've never taken it on to the extent of removing so much in the way of branches. I would like to know the best way to do it without hurting it. I love, love, love this jimsonweed and have seen it grow to over 5 foot and be so full and bloom like crazy. Now while the rest of my garden begins to "spring" forth, my jimsonweed looks barren and sad. I don't want to kill it, I don't want to cut it, but I do want to save it. I know about cutting off the buds and old stuff, but not full branches and I can't find anything on the web except about it's toxic and drug properties. So please, refrain from explaining it to me all again. I just want her beautiful again. Any help, please? Thank you.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

In most areas jimpsonweed is an annual. You probably need to purchase a new plant.

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 9:31PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Since it's not really a weed you are asking about, you might get limited information here :)

Why don't you try posting in its related forum, Brugmansia - I think you might find people in your zone with pruning experience there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brugmansia forum

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 3:12PM
maifleur01

Let us know if it is a Brugmansia or Jimson weed.

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 9:47PM
saminsane

It's Jimsonweed, and this was the only forum that had any Jimsonweed related topics. but thanks, i've already slowly begun the process. I'm not giving up this plant, she has new growth all over her, she's just stunted by the old I think.

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 11:41AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

If you'd check the Brugs forum, you'd find several datura growers who exchange information there too. Search function the Brugs forum for 'datura', and you'll get 350+ hits. I don't grow it myself so didn't want to advise you, other than suggesting a better place for you to go to find pruning experience :)

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 1:50PM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Most Datura growers grow them as annuals and nobody grows D. stramonium because there are better horticultural types (D. stramonium not one of them) with bigger better flowers and colors to chose from.
BTW If that picture is yours it definately is NOT D. stramonium, based on leaf shape,and color of flower. You have what looks like a form of D. inoxia AKA D. metal...a horticulture type :D

Vera

Here is a link that might be useful: Images_Datura stramonium

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
what is this weed seed?
Found these seeds in a package of red lentils grown...
Okanagan
Ailanthus Advice?
I've cross-posted this from the Trees Forum, but am...
shaxhome
Weed Identification (Florida)
Good afternoon, I have a problem with a weed (type...
BoogieMan2718
morning glory seedlings
A gardener in our park club planted morning glories...
Mary423
So I've hoed hound now what?
So it's that time of year I have started to notice...
mushibu10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™