Purple Flower Weed??

iKandyXotics(8)April 26, 2013

Have been searching and searching for a name of this plant , but can't find anything.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iKandyXotics(8)

leaf and stalk

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 12:14PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Appears to be Verbena bonariensis.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 1:25PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

A short-lived perennial which seeds profusely. Lovely to watch it swaying in the breeze but be certain to deadhead regularly

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:38PM
iKandyXotics(8)

I have noticed the leaves turn whilte , almost looks like it is dusted with white powder?? Is that normal?

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 11:14AM
jeanne

Powdery mildew? It could be too wet or too dry (probably too wet), adjust the water and see if that helps.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 6:26PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

A whiteish dusting on a plants leaves when temperatures are between 60 and 80 degrees F, and most often during dryer weather, could well be Powdery Mildew. Many plant are susceptible, but when conditions are favorable most plant could get it. The spores that become Powdery Mildew are spread around by the winds.
I have found that either a 50/50 mixture of fat free milk and water or 1 teaspoon of baking soda mixed into 1 quart of water will help control this mild plant disease.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 7:20AM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

I don't know about the rest of youall, but powdery mildew is already so prevalent here this year that I dread even planting squash. Normally we don't get a lot of this fungus until much later, but this year even Columbines are showing signs of it. The usual vectors in the environment (the Lamiums like Henbit) are already in decline. And it's only April!

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 9:24AM
loopypat

I think it is quite pretty for a weed. Sorry I am not any help, just wanted to give my two cents. Good luck.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 5:07PM
tracey_nj6(6)

This is one of my favorites; and the skippers in the fall love it too, covering the blooms. I pluck/crush the seed heads in late fall and scatter just throw them all around. The powdery mildew is an eyesore. In my yard/NJ, they don't start their show until the summer.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:01AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

These are blooming here now. One of those "think I saw" flowers. Think I saw something purple... Also see-through, if in front of other plants, you could still see the ones behind. Enough in the wild to satisfy my eyes, no urge to "have" any.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 11:12AM
More Discussions
Idea for homemade herbicide: think it'll work?
So I have been brewing kombucha at home. A bunch of...
irjowo99
Barricade question
I'm considering purchasing the following for my Bermuda...
gardenal
Ever hear of a weed called common bright-eye?
Did a google search, can't find a pic. Any idea what...
fireweed22
Can you help me identify this weed?
It is growing in Atlanta, Georgia.
tigger033
How much vinegar per dandelion?
About how many mL of vinegar would you apply per dandelion...
tigger033
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™