we have an aerie!!

dirtgirl(So. Illinois)February 2, 2006

Big news, big news....hoo I am so excited!

Ever since my first sighting of an eagle over 6 years ago, I have had my hopes up that eventually they would regain their status as regulars in our area. Since that first appearance I have seen them more and more frequently and then came the big moment yesterday: we have a nest! I had just seen an eagle about a half mile from the location and was telling a neighbor about it when he asked me if I had seen the nest. I was skeptical at first, since the description of the location was very close to a large red tail nest that has been active for the last few years--surely it was the same one. I was coming home from a dental appointment yesterday and decided to make a quick detour and have a look for myself and sure enough, there it was. I can't believe it. There was a nest behind my parent's house the last few years, but it was far enough away that you really couldn't appreciate the hugeness of it. Not so with this one. It must be as big as the hood of a car! I can't say for certain since the light was not that good and I did not have my field glasses with me, but there seemed to be a head-shaped shadow poking up in the middle of it. At least a few others have indeed seen two birds in the area so this could be the year when eagles do finally make their official reproducing comeback. The nest is far enough off of the road that people harrassing them should not be too big a deal.

First the pileateds, then the eagles...what else is next??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lkz5ia

THe bigfoot?

Bookmark   February 2, 2006 at 3:07PM
dirtgirl(So. Illinois)

Im hoping for a chupacabra, actually.
But I haven't seen one 'yet-i'.

sorry bout that:)

Bookmark   February 2, 2006 at 3:42PM
catherinet(5 IN)

How cool Dirtgirl! I'm so envious! Keep us posted on developments.

Bookmark   February 2, 2006 at 9:18PM
vonyon

Yay!! How exciting is that? Keep us posted.

Bookmark   February 2, 2006 at 9:32PM
Birdsong72(7/Northshore NJ)

Seeing them, having them nest does allow one's soul to soar eh dirtgirl?!.

We were similarly blessed in having a pair take up residence as the sole nesting pair at a nearby reservoir some 5 years ago. This in the shadow of NYC no less.

All the best with them. God bless

Bookmark   February 3, 2006 at 2:54PM
dirtgirl(So. Illinois)

Sometimes it is too easy to get into the glass-half-full thought pattern and assume that things with the state of the environment are only getting worse, not better. When I step back and consider that there probably hasn't been an eagle nest anywhere in this county for the last 50 years or so, maybe more, then it comes as a much welcome reminder of just how resilient nature is despite our intrusions.

Yesterday I called the regional DNR as well as the local office who oversees this particular reclamation area, and found out that there is indeed a fellow responsible for confirming and recording eagle sightings. He was given the location of the nest and I guess the rest is up to our feathered pair. It's only about a mile and a half from here so I have it MADE for watching them. My next purchase will have to be a spotting scope!!!
I had a very encouraging 15 minute talk with the site superintendent...I have always had a love/hate relationship with the DNR. Despite the fact that I am nearly surrounded by thriving DNR natural areas that were once barren coal mines,I have had no choice but to question their motives behind the work--is it to maintain the environment for wildlife or to maintain the wildlife for hunters? To my surprise, this fellow voiced this very issue without my ever having mentioned it, and his concerns were the same as my own. I knew the previous director for several years before he relocated and the discussion with this new guy left me very reassured that things might be in fairly good hands here locally.

Bookmark   February 4, 2006 at 12:54PM
More Discussions
Mouse, Vole or Shrew in Garage
Hi, I caught a couple of deer mouse a couple weeks...
GardenFan9595
A very strange plant
The plant you're looking at is a Catawhatisthis, very...
plantnut65
Juncos Eating Ironweed Seed
There are a half dozen or so Juncos eating the Tall...
kelp
Need advice on hosting bees in our yard
Hi Folks We maintain a NWF-certified wildlife habitat...
ggopal
lizard jumped in my window running from hawk help
A huge 10 inch lizard jumped in my window to escape...
Wild Haired Mavens
Sponsored Products
Sherry Kline Courtyard 20-inch Throw Pillows (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
MaxLite RKL45U5541DV LED RKL Retrofit Kit Strips, 4100K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Ivory, Handmade Runner - H2181
BH Sun Inc
Sorrento Outdoor Lounge Chair with Cushions, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Wallpaper Wall Shelf
$94.99 | Dot & Bo
Gray Abstract Rug 8' x 10' - GRAY
$1,999.00 | Horchow
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Sarah Off White 8