Help me ID any posion ivy/oak/sumac

chucacabrawowApril 7, 2013

I have had constant rashes after weed eating/ mowing my lawn. I cannot for the life of me find any poisonous plants around the yard, but am constantly getting new poison ivy rashes from somewhere in the yard.

windows 7 screen shot

upload foto

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

#1 appears to be Vinca minor. #2 Might be a euonymus vine (maybe E. f. colorata). #3 appears to be a honeysuckle vine (Lonicera japonica, maybe). #4 is English ivy, Hedra helix. None of them are poision ivy.
Not sure what might be causing your rashes.
hortster

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 9:31PM
chucacabrawow

Thanks for the help hortster. Maybe i am allergic to something in the yard. Just wish i knew what it was that was causing it!

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 3:50AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

People can have contact dermatitis reactions to many common plants, including Hedera, grape ivy, nightshade, juniper, almost any euphorbia.

It is also possible for detritus from poison ivy/oak to blow into your yard from elsewhere. Contact with the dried leaves or pieces of vine or roots can still cause a rash for an unknown period of time (which is probably because environmental factors speed/slow the breakdown of the urishiol.) One it is on a tool, shoe, glove, your dog, it can pass to you from that also (for an unknown period of time.)

There is no PI in our yard, but finally I decided that my getting a rash was always preceded by handling dead leaves with no sleeves. Wear long sleeves/pants, shower right away after yard work that involves dead leaves, or contacting questionable plants. Wash the clothes before wearing them again, if you don't put them right in the washing machine from your body, wash your hands after you touch them again to put them in the washer.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 3:26PM
chucacabrawow

thanks for all the info. I remember the first time i did the lawn, i wore the clothes all day. As a result i had a bad itch all over my body. Since then i have been washes my clothes after doing any yard work. The bumps/itch have gotten less since then. I appreciate all the helpful info.
BTW i know that it's poison ivy because of the bumps! they are always clear filled blisters that turn yellow crust when popped. I used to get it all the time when i was a kid.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 7:20PM
More Discussions
Poor Man's Weed Barrier
I need to block weeds and grass from popping up from...
jeff_leites
Bark mulch size
In my shrub garden, will large or small bark chunks...
gcotterl
Weed Indentification
It generates a ton of fluffy seed balls that blow with...
GaryDEvans
ID Invasive Vine Weed
Does anyone know the name of this weed? It's a vine...
debg
So I've hoed hound now what?
So it's that time of year I have started to notice...
mushibu10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™