miserable yellow flower weed -- identification?

graficaamy(6)April 27, 2009

This is my first time posting to Weeds. I'm trying to attache 2 photos but not sure it will work. Hopefully someone can help me. My yard and indeed the whole county seems to be overrun with this aggressive yellow flowered plant. Has fleshy rhizomes (?) and seems to take hold in any bare area or where lawn is weak. Flowers open just in sunlight, but when they do it's a field of lemon yellow!

So once I get an ID, naturally the next question is: How can I get rid of this stuff? How does it move (seed I guess, since it spreads beyond immediate area).

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graficaamy(6)

I see only the full field photo is linked. How can I attach / send the closeup of the nasty plant? Sorry this is my first time putting up images on to the forums.

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 1:21PM
kalmia10(z7 WA)

I can't answer your photo question, but I'll take a wild stab at the yellow flower ID and guess lesser celandine (ficaria verna)?

Here is a link that might be useful: lesser celandine

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 2:25PM
tyrlych

You can upload your images to any free web-storage (Photobucket, Picassa,etc.) and give a link to them here in your post.
Do not ferget to make the pictures "public" so everyone could see them.

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 2:38PM
graficaamy(6)

Ranunculus ficaria -- it definitely is the culprit -- and it looks horrible. I can vouch that it's nearly impossible to dig up all the underground parts of a single plant, much less an infestation. I am now going to have to deliberate: Use Roundup / glyphosate even though I have avoided chemicals for years, or spend an eternity digging and probably not succeed.

This link sent by kalmia10 says lesser celandine spreads mostly by the underground tubers, but here at my house it seems to pop up FAR from existing colonies, meaning 15 feet from nearest plant, as if it spread by airborne seeds. Is it just inadvertant movement of tuber segments??? or could it also spread by seed?

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
Black Medic (Medicago lupulina)
Black medic was growing rampant in my garden. I used...
Gary
Eliminator brand weed killer
Has anyone tried the Eliminator brand weed/grass killer...
trh701
Fixed nitrogen in the soil
Is nitrogen fixed in the soil good or bad?
Gary
Weed Identification Kern River Valley, CA
Hoping some folks might be able (willing) to help me...
nexev - Zone 8b
When to Apply Corn Gluten Meal (Preemergent) Georgia
Hello, Is it too late to apply CGM in Atlanta, GA (March...
tigger033
Sponsored Products
Flower Market Mug - GREEN
$38.00 | Horchow
Area Rug: Plantain Pale Yellow 8' Round
Home Depot
Hudson Valley Lighting | Jasper Two Light Wall Sconce
$300.00 | YLighting
Butter Up Cleo 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
2" Solid Bronze Wall Tile with Daisy Design - Burnished Bronze
Signature Hardware