What kind of weed/tree is this?

julianna_il(z6 IL)April 2, 2009

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/11/8/2179327/P1010076.JPG

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/11/8/2179327/P1010075.JPG

These are popping up everywhere. Many are two feet tall already, and don't seem particular about where they'll grow. Some under a pine tree (acid soil), others in normal soil, shade, sun, front, back.

I thought I found an ID at UofI weed ID site. Wild Licorice. But then I googled that and nothing like those pictures. I dug these babies up to sniff the roots. No licorice scent.

These are tiny ones...most are much bigger. Tree-ish or shrubbish stems. Hard enough that it would take scissors to snip them, at least the bigger stems.

I'm stumped!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

Not a clue on the weed, but beautiful silver-gray cat!
Hortster

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 9:43PM
julianna_il(z6 IL)

Awww, thanks! He's my big velvet teddy bear. He just *had* to sniff the plants.

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 10:27PM
maifleur01

It appears to me that it is one of the honeysuckles that has sent out a stem that rooted.

How big is your baby. I have had two cats with this color one regular size. The other would put his head down on my shoulder when I was sitting. Both just disappeared and never returned. They were very tender and did not extend their claws to me.

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 10:33PM
julianna_il(z6 IL)

He's huge....close to 20 pounds. He started life as a feral, was rescued in Seattle and adopted to a lovely woman. She had breast cancer and was dying and feared her family would dump him in a shelter. So she turned to an internet cat lover group, and I adopted him. He came cross-country on the "pet bus," and has just thrived.

Strange thing...the day she died from breast cancer, he knew. I was getting out of the shower and he came in and just wept. I can't explain his meows other than weeping. I feared that's what it was, because he'd never cried like that, and I went to the Internet breast cancer group, and sure enough, she had passed a few hours before.

Really a bittersweet story.

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 4:18PM
julianna_il(z6 IL)

Honeysuckle! Thank you...I'll google that, but I know it's invasive as heck. It's all over the place here...hadn't even thought of googling that because I had none.

I love honeysuckle, though. I may leave one or two.

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Questions about Imazapyr and trees
Hey there. I recently used a product called RM43 to...
Emily Berg
Sticky Weed, Sticky Willy, Velcro Weed
I wanted to post about something that is taking my...
Bryan Scott
Fixed nitrogen in the soil
Is nitrogen fixed in the soil good or bad?
Gary
thistle help
For the last few years i have been battling thistles...
violet14
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™