regeneration of broken tomato stem

catherinet(5 IN)June 27, 2007

Hi all,

I'm growing some veggies in big containers in my yard. I have a cherry tomato plant that was doing well, when half of it broke off. What a bummer. I decided to just stick the broken stem back in the soil, and make sure it was kept watered........and it survived! Makes me wonder if we can do this for all our tomatoes when they're younger?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Sure, many of us root cuttings and/or suckers for additional plants all the time. ;) You'll find several posts here on the how-to for it.

Dave

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 6:55PM
adrianag(AL z7)

Rooting suckers (or broken branches) is a great way to propagate plants. If you want to start new plants for a late season harvest start some about 12 weeks before your last frost. It's quicker than starting from seeds, saving you at least 4-6 weeks.

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 7:45PM
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks Dave and adrian,
I'm sort of embarrassed that I've been growing maters for over 30 years and I didn't know this! Can't wait to grow more this way!

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 8:19PM
deweymn(z4mnstpaul)

I was just doing this to a couple of stalks that I either cut off or they broke off.

Two that I put in a flower vase and forgot about for a week had a nice root system going so I planted them in a hanging basket to root some more.

Two others that I also kept in a shady spot didn't fare so well and ended up in the compost pile. Don't know why the difference but I have one purple variety of tomato that I am going to try this with.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
Row Covers for Frost Protection on early tomatoes?
I'm in southeast Ohio and I'm wanting to plant tomatoes...
hockingapple
Black Pineapple Tomato (aka Ananas Noire): Verdict
Just picked my first black pineapple tomato and ate...
Edymnion
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™